CARS CONTINENTAL BMW SUFFOLK

Barry.b

Reaction score
Hi guys
I just checked back over the paperwork that I have from the first owner of my car in 1974
And from this I can see that the car was serviced at 5,000 , 10,000 , 15,000 and 20,000 miles
At a garage called : CARS CONTINENTAL SUFFOLK LTD - Main BMW dealers
Suffolk, 159 London road , Ipswich .
So I guess he bought it new from there .
Does anyone else have a car sold new from there ?
Or does anyone know about the place and does it still exist ???

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
C4364F4D-D961-4197-92D4-63AC3EA957B4.png

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm assuming the paperwork was with the car? My 1972 CS was UK delivered but have never been able to trace to who/where.

Barry.b

Reaction score
I'm assuming the paperwork was with the car? My 1972 CS was UK delivered but have never been able to trace to who/where.
Hi Wes , yes the paperwork was with the car
So it is nice to try and solve a 46 year old puzzle.
I found out yesterday that apparently all early e9’s sent to the UK , left Germany as LHD and were converted by Bmw in the uk before delivery to the first owner.
I think that was until 1974 , did you know that, yours was probably one of them .

Barry.b

Reaction score
BMW Consessionaires was a BMW Distributor/dealer and not owned by BMW but they were a reputable entity back when they existed from many accounts by members. Your coupe was in good hands back then.
Good to hear !!!

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Wes , yes the paperwork was with the car
So it is nice to try and solve a 46 year old puzzle.
I found out yesterday that apparently all early e9’s sent to the UK , left Germany as LHD and were converted by Bmw in the uk before delivery to the first owner.
I think that was until 1974 , did you know that, yours was probably one of them .

Yes my car was delivered as a CSA in 1972, which from memory there were no RHD cars produced that early. That said having had the car apart there's no trace of it having been a LHD so all a mystery to me. It also spent some time in South Africa. I suspect it went there pretty early as it had almost zero rust when I bought it a few years back.

Barry.b

Reaction score
Yes my car was delivered as a CSA in 1972, which from memory there were no RHD cars produced that early. That said having had the car apart there's no trace of it having been a LHD so all a mystery to me. It also spent some time in South Africa. I suspect it went there pretty early as it had almost zero rust when I bought it a few years back.
Apparently they might have been converted to RHD here :