Cash for CLunkers cars that got crushed...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh my, that is so sad. I am sure many were in a bad state, but reading the numbers - my heart hurts...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Actually, thinking about that program again is rather painful. What exactly was the point?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Actually, thinking about that program again is rather painful. What exactly was the point?

It was suppose to stimulate the economy by the government providing a credit (so to speak) toward a new car and getting "clunkers" off the road. They had to be cars that were registered and on the road, since that was the point. A friend is pretty high up at one of the few giant scrap metal companies and they grabbed many good cars that shouldn't be crushed, even though they risked getting in trouble. I didn't ask how they did it and he wouldn't tell, but just in our area he pulled a '70's 911 and several old American classics. He also manages cleaning up old farms and properties of scrap metal and has accumulated over 300 vehicles that he has stored.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I didn't ask how they did it and he wouldn't tell, but just in our area he pulled a '70's 911 and several old American classics. He also manages cleaning up old farms and properties of scrap metal and has accumulated over 300 vehicles that he has stored.
Sounds like my dream job. :)

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That Cash for Clunkers made me sick. Dried up the supply of cheap cars for poor folks.
Not a single VW Corrado was turned in. That is one bright note.

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It was suppose to stimulate the economy by the government providing a credit (so to speak) toward a new car and getting "clunkers" off the road. They had to be cars that were registered and on the road, since that was the point. A friend is pretty high up at one of the few giant scrap metal companies and they grabbed many good cars that shouldn't be crushed, even though they risked getting in trouble. I didn't ask how they did it and he wouldn't tell, but just in our area he pulled a '70's 911 and several old American classics. He also manages cleaning up old farms and properties of scrap metal and has accumulated over 300 vehicles that he has stored.
Did he grab any Glas 1700 GTs or a BMW 1600 GT from 1968/

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hagarty ran an article a while back on how children were inheriting old cars and they just didn't want them. They want new and with tons of gizmoes. Come to New England and see all the beautiful older homes being torn down for new construction. Heartbreaking.