Cast your color vote for E9Wayne

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey guys, for you west coasters that know my car, it's in the caring hands of coupeking right now getting the full repaint and interior restoration.

I have moved back to the east coast (hello Virginia coupers) to take on a new job and have left my beauty behind for the restoration.

Anyway, my car was originally Nachtblau but resprayed a slightly lighter, brighter blue by the previous owner. That was fine with me even though she wasn't 100% factory original.

The color chip I left behind with my car has crumbled to dust so there is little to go by to match her up, so I am considering new paint choices in the blue family. Baikal is close but a little light in my view. Nachtblau is too dark for me and not as gemlike. Fjord is beautiful, but too light for me. I've looked at the other BMW blues through the ages including Orientblue (317), Lazurblue (294), Baltic Blue (178) and Atlantic Blue (041). For the Orange County guys, which blue do you think comes closest to what I had?

I really like the 70s colors, especially the more flamboyant ones like Ceylon, but that's probably too big a change and not right for my interior. Turkis Blue is kind of neat too.

FYI my interior is Lotus White.

Thanks for your opinions!

rb1971

Reaction score
With a white interior, you could go with a lot of blues - which is great, because the coupes look so good in blue.

If it were my car, I'd do Turkis. But then again, when it was my car, I picked Inka, so my opinion is probably discount-able.

Shawn

Reaction score
Why not stay with Nachtblau? Is is beautiful and the original color!

I know you might be bored with that color but it is probably the most pleasant blue in the line up.

Thanks,

Shawn

westoz3.0csa

Reaction score

Attachments

• BMW 015.jpg
    BMW 015.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 155

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Or for something completely different

Verona, yeah I know, not in the blue family but the opposite of my Chamonix with red leather...

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
What blue for Waynes E-9??--long response

Having had both Nachtblau metallic painted Coupes (long gone) and Atlantik single stage (still with me) after almost 40 years--I have never tired of its Atlantik Blau color while still admiring other color choices--especially the single stage paints--no clear coats.

I am inclined to cast my vote for Atlantik for several reasons:
1) it is one of the best colors for complimenting the Coupes shape and provides a fine contrasting backdrop for the chromework.
2) BLUMAX has elicited compliments due its color for all those years at all events where shown.
3) it is not a common Coupe color.
4) it is easier to repair if damaged

You might want to consider that a metallic color if damaged is much more difficult to color match if repairs are needed to your paint work. No matter the color you choose be sure you specify the use of factory original acrylic based paint--no longer sold in California due tree huggers--but still available from Nevada and Arizona at last check--I'm sure CoupeKing knows.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my first comment was regarding the blue paint color that you were looking for. i have always been partial to atlantik and nachtblau - and think they would look great with lotus. other than that, i think you would need a bright color - like inka or taiga or maybe colorado or turkis.

so what have you decided?

tmason

Reaction score
I'm with RS if you are doing it right go bright! But if not a complete redo door jams,trunk,engine bay then I'm for Nachtblac.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys

I will likely stay with Nachtblau and Peter is sending me a few variations on that color since the last respray (before me) was a little lighter and brighter tone. And yes, we are doing door jams and engine bay. I sure am tempted by Ceylon but that won't work as well with my Lotus interior I think.

Murray's color is excellent but I'm more of a metallic guy.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will likely stay with Nachtblau and Peter is sending me a few variations on that color since the last respray (before me) was a little lighter and brighter tone. And yes, we are doing door jams and engine bay. I sure am tempted by Ceylon but that won't work as well with my Lotus interior I think.

Murray's color is excellent but I'm more of a metallic guy.

What year is your car?

From what I've read I'd suggest you stick with nachtblau,
if you want to jazz it up have a bit of pearlescent mixed in...
the appearance of subtle color changes at sunrise/sunset will really "pop",
way more than the original.
And honestly it just won't look any different from stock the rest of the time!

Oh, and I am personally a Baikal kinda guy

http://www.e9-driven.com/ImgView.asp?ImgFile=images/gallery/2270011/2270011.JPG