Center Drive Shaft Bearing

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm in the process of changing the Center Drive Shaft Bearing and support. I successfully removed and have replace the bearing/support and place the dust cover on and have place the locking ring back on. My question is that before putting the locking ring on the bearing/support moved very freely. With the locking ring on it moves but not so freely. I believe I have the bearing/support as far as it will go onto the drive shaft and the locking ring seems to be properly engaged into the grove on on the drive shaft. I want to see if someone could verify if this was correct. I would hate to install everything and find out I did something wrong. Any comments would be appreciated.

61porsche

Reaction score
If you're saying the bearing is loose on the shaft, the center bearing is the wrong size. It's not supposed to be loose.

If your car was once automatic or the early ZF trans, there once were two size bearings. I had the same issue come up when I first bought the car, imagined all sorts of things to fix, pulled the shaft, the center bearing was just bigger than an interefence fit. Proper part number, still had the sticker on it, no wear on the shaft but shiney.

If I recall, the bolt sizes are one size smaller, the guibo is different to match the bolts, etc.

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm referring to the bearing and its support that it is inserted into. It is tight on the shaft. The Bearing before putting on the Locking Ring moves very freely, ie if your placed the shaft in one position and then turned it 180 degrees it would move. With the locking ring if you did the same you would have to physically move it. I does not seem to be binding it just does not move as freely.