Centre console restoration solutions

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Like all others I've seen,the sides of my console have the obligatory holes in the vinyl from a previous radio installation.

Has anyone successfully managed to restore their console to look original ? - any tips would be appreciated

Stefan

Reaction score
For me, if I see a hole somewhere and I have no idea whats been there before. I put a time period screw and washer.

Ok, this goes not for my new girlfriend........ :)

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've tried.

The problem is that replacement vinyl is much thicker than the original material. Also, the new vinyl has to be stitched together, making fit and finish with the dash difficult. I don't like how mine came out. Ive heard that JustDashes can vacuum on new material that replicates the original. Im not sure on their pricing, but Ill bet its not cheap.

I think TJ and Vraned rebuilt theirs. Having seen their other work Ill bet the parts look great. Hopefully they can tell us how to do this right.

-David

61porsche

Reaction score
Console refurb

Yes, the original was a single layer non backed vinyl.

Normal vinyl is able to stretch one way. In order to convert it to two way, one must remove the backing with a solution. This is how custom speaker boxes/ kickpanels were made in the past.( Ethyl Keytone or TSP?)

Now there is two way vinyl commercially available.( Car audio business to the rescue.)

It shouldn't be hard for the right shop to do it now. New Mercedes,CLS550s, etc. dash has a very similar stiching everywhere, but in buffalo hyde.

I think Bwana here recently got his done. He's in the middle of an a/c install. Maybe pm him as well.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I got some from a fabric store and reverse-stitched it using black thread. Looks pretty good. I also added some foam padding on the outside face so I could rest my knee against the console in comfort.

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for your input chaps - I'll contact Just Dashes and post their response / price once I hear back. I'm guessing that thermo - vacuuming the vinyl to the pieces is an easy enough job, getting the stitching right might pose a greater problem.

Does anyone know of a European shop that might be able to do this ?

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just Dashes have quoted $250 to restore my console sides

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has had this done by them before and if the results were satisfactory

Bwana

Reaction score
You can see the pictures of my console re-do in "CSi A/C install" in this same forum. Cost about $150 by a local shop. I don't think you can exactly duplicate the factory version but you can get pretty close

execmalibu

Reaction score
Does the Just dashes have the vacuum molded plastic and stichong

Does the Just dashes repair have the molded stitching and look like original?

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can see the pictures of my console re-do in "CSi A/C install" in this same forum. Cost about $150 by a local shop. I don't think you can exactly duplicate the factory version but you can get pretty close

Looking at picture #3, your shop did a much better job than mine. The chamfer where the sides meet the dash looks just right. Did your trimmer reshape the wood ? Mine is pretty buggered--those complex lines are now a mushed blur.

Bwana

Reaction score
Looking at picture #3, your shop did a much better job than mine. The chamfer where the sides meet the dash looks just right. Did your trimmer reshape the wood ? Mine is pretty buggered--those complex lines are now a mushed blur.

No, he used the same wood as a base. I think it's in the craftmanship of the worker (what a suprise). Although this guy looks to be a bit of a low budget guy (based on the bass boats he's done), he's also done some real high end Lambo's and Bentley's that look fabulous. Check out they guy's previous work. He's also recommended by my local BMW independant shop for interior work