Ceylon Coupe in N. California

maxg765

Reaction score
Nice

Wow, I love that colour. This is so weird as I have been considering a project E9 purchase and wanted to paint it this exact exterior colour. It has this same interior colour which had me wondering if it would go...this confirms it, it does.

Max

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's been discussed here a couple of times before and I think this is the third time listed on ebay. I believe someone here said he wants 40K. Looks exceptional. Should be interesting to watch.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Been for sale since at least the first week of October, 2010. I remember because I was out there on vaca with my wife that week. I did not go see the car that day, because it would have resulted in a divorce had I bought it.
Scott

CSfan

Reaction score
hahahah

been for sale since at least the first week of october, 2010. I remember because i was out there on vaca with my wife that week. I did not go see the car that day, because it would have resulted in a divorce had i bought it.
Scott

lol!!!!!!!!!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
maybe it's just me but for all that $$$ on resto I'd have lost the strut spacers and trimmed the bolts. Beautiful car though.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
when i spoke to Peter at the end of last december, he was in negotiation with somebody ... so that obviously fell through. he was asking $45k, but eluded that a "qualified buyer offered close to this price off line" ... which i took to be between 40k + 42k.

it is such a pretty car that i thought long and hard about stretching funds to buy it, but Peter went radio silent.

oh ... well

CSfan

Reaction score
Price

I hope he get's 40ish. We can have something to compare prices with. From my many other thread, I would be the first to point out the price. But I must say, This is the right price!!! (I can't afford)

Carl Nelson website blog:

I believe this to be the same car: The shift knob is a dead give away (maybe?). (scroll down it's about mid page for the write up)

http://sandiegobmw.wordpress.com/page/2/

CSfan

Reaction score
Opp's

I hope he get's 40ish. We can have something to compare prices with. From my many other thread, I would be the first to point out the price. But I must say, This is the right price!!! (I can't afford)

Carl Nelson website blog:

I believe this to be the same car: The shift knob is a dead give away (maybe?). (scroll down it's about mid page for the write up)

http://sandiegobmw.wordpress.com/page/2/

I stand corrected!! That's what I get for chasing Merlot with whiskey mid day. From the looks of the interior the E9 on Carl's page is black and of course the one offer on e-day is not. Interesting read anyways........ notice how the writer said he would not part with the car for any-less then 150K

petert

Reaction score
From PeterT, the owner

Gentlemen: thanks for the good words. Over the years I worked at bringing this to the best possible factory condition as possible. Needless to say, I have invested much more than the $42k-45k that I expect to get for the car. Currently there are serious off-line buyers that aren't put off by the price, but no one has written a check . . yet. I expect to sell the car for this amount and by doing so could help all coupe owners get the recognition we deserve.

I could not have done as well with the car without the combined efforts of all members here. And I mean all members. Over a 4 year period, between all the coupe owners here and the craftsmen that worked on this project, I am indebted.

By the way, I don't expect it to actually sell on ebay because from what I can tell from past listings and this one the serious buyers don't bid.

Stay tuned and I'll be sure to share with you how this winds up.

Regards,
PeterT

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think $40K - $45K is unrealistic for such a superb car. Paint/bodywork alone can reach and exceed $20K. Its nice to see worthy coupes command these prices.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Most people are unrealistic about the cost to restore

a car. Many people think it's just a moderate increment to bring a #2 up to a #1 level. I've had the luck (or misfortune) to do that once, and sometimes it's more like going thru a second restoration.

I've not seen this car in person yet, but it's clearly somewhere between a #2 and #1 (photos of the undercarriage would help differentiate). The guys at Bavarian that maintain it gushed unreservedly about it, and implied that it's as good as you can get for a car that is going to get driven occasionally and you don't have Jay Leno's budget to detail the car from top to bottom after every spin around the block.

Of all the pricing guides out there, I've found the "Cars that Matter" guide to be fairly useful. Other guides such as "Collector Car Market" and "NADA" sometimes seem to contain totally out of date data that is completely out of sync with the market. I think that's particularly true for cars that don't get a lot of collector press like the E9. CthatM puts the BAT type CSL's between $125k and $200k and the Dubai result seems to correlate with that estimate.

They says a #1 E9 (CS or CSi) should be a $50k car and I completely agree. The challenge to getting a fair price for a non CSL E9 is the size of the market. If this were a Duetto in similar condition for $35k, it'd be gone in a day. A 220S cabriolets seem to hit their high estimates easily as well because the market for 1950's Mercedes is huge.

I don't think $40K - $45K is unrealistic for such a superb car. Paint/bodywork alone can reach and exceed $20K. Its nice to see worthy coupes command these prices.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

I could not have done as well with the car without the combined efforts of all members here. And I mean all members. Over a 4 year period, between all the coupe owners here and the craftsmen that worked on this project, I am indebted.

Regards,
PeterT

Good luck Peter, nice work.
The "indebted" part means you are going to share the spoils with us, right?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
be careful what you wish for - that also implies that you would share in the shortfall ... and if take heed of bfeng's reply ... Peter likely has more in the car than he will get out.

petert

Reaction score
what's the car worth?

Yes, I have significantly more more into the car than the price I will sell it for. Once that value is realized, it will leave my garage. As far as sharing the booty, remember a rising tide floats all boats.

CSfan

Reaction score
disappointed

I'm a little disappointed , It's been 5 days and 1 bid. I use to work for a classic car place as a prep guy(lowest dude on the totem pole) back early to mid 90's when the .com era was alive. I would prep a car in the morning and it would probably sale by mid-afternoon.

I'll chalk this up for economic hard times. not because there aren't CS fan's out there.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i also think there have been a couple of pretty good coupes that hit the market over the last 6 months. do i think that they have been as nice as the ceylon? probably not - at least for the given money. the midnight blue 2800cs sold for just below $35k. not near as nice as this. coupe king has sold some pretty nice cars in this range (73 agave in december), there was the agave in houston recently (forget the price). there have been a couple of cars sold by coupeguy for mid to upper 20's. there was a white csi that csi sold in december for around 39k.

but currently there is the white 2800cs for sale by the owner of Cormier Chevy (40k), there is the '72 tundra for sale by coupe king right now (39k). and there is a white 73 cs at csi right now for (54k) as well as 3 other cars in the mid 20's. but the class of the group - IMHO - this ceylon.

in regard to ebay auctions, the midnight blue 2800 cs didn't get started until the last day - when it finally cleared the reserve.

good luck Peter