Ceylon Coupe in N. California

Duck360198

Reaction score
With this particular coupe, how much does color play a part in this sale? I find myself scratching my head wondering if I like it. Personally, I have never seen Ceylon in person. There is no doubt the car is stunning beyond words and the restoration is top notch....but it seems like this combination could be a tough sell? Or is this a color that any "true" coupe fan considers to be one of the best colors for this car?

I check out the auction every day and just drool over the interior...then I continue to scratch my head. :mrgreen: Stunning car nonetheless!

i also think there have been a couple of pretty good coupes that hit the market over the last 6 months. do i think that they have been as nice as the ceylon? probably not - at least for the given money. the midnight blue 2800cs sold for just below $35k. not near as nice as this. coupe king has sold some pretty nice cars in this range (73 agave in december), there was the agave in houston recently (forget the price). there have been a couple of cars sold by coupeguy for mid to upper 20's. there was a white csi that csi sold in december for around 39k.

but currently there is the white 2800cs for sale by the owner of Cormier Chevy (40k), there is the '72 tundra for sale by coupe king right now (39k). and there is a white 73 cs at csi right now for (54k) as well as 3 other cars in the mid 20's. but the class of the group - IMHO - this ceylon.

in regard to ebay auctions, the midnight blue 2800 cs didn't get started until the last day - when it finally cleared the reserve.

good luck Peter

Duck360198

Reaction score
a white 73 cs at csi right now for (54k)

By the way, does anyone know whose car this is? The car looks stunning but the price seems a little excessive, doesn't it? I'm curious how extensive the restoration was and the history of the car.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Duck,
I would say color does play a part. To me, Ceylon is a great 70s color, along with Inka, Golf, Taiga, etc. But, I have a feeling if this car were Polaris or Baikal, it might sell faster.
40k is near the top end for a non-CSL. I am not sure how many cars, other than those sold by Coupe King, have exceeded the 40k mark.
As an example, the Polaris 72 Csi restored by "psychrunner" went for 38k a year or so ago. It is in Iowa now.
Scott

Last edited:

CSfan

Reaction score
color

With this particular coupe, how much does color play a part in this sale? I find myself scratching my head wondering if I like it. Personally, I have never seen Ceylon in person. There is no doubt the car is stunning beyond words and the restoration is top notch....but it seems like this combination could be a tough sell? Or is this a color that any "true" coupe fan considers to be one of the best colors for this car?

I check out the auction every day and just drool over the interior...then I continue to scratch my head. :mrgreen: Stunning car nonetheless!

I'll agree with you about the color BUT for myself I've seen cars in pictures Ferrari, Lambo's, top exotics. AND then witness them in person. It's like night and day in comparison. 3D live and 2-D with low resolutions camera does not do this car justice. I have not seen this car in person but have seen one similar. The line designs stand out more. We can Google the Mona Lisa pictures all day long but to actually witness the painting in person is spectacular,different then sitting behind a desk with a computer.

maxg765

Reaction score
Colour

If its any consolation I like the Ceylon Gold metallic colour. Its a very period correct colour and it certainly does bring out the lines of the E9. If I were to paint an E9 today it would be in this same colour. Then again if I owned an Alfa ROmeo or Ferrari it would not be red.

The car is perfect the way it is and it should find a new happy owner soon. I will put full blame on the economy for why its not at reserve yet. One cannot build an E9 to this state for less than 40K. I think its offered at a fair price. Fair to the buyer, never the seller...

Max

maxg765

Reaction score
1 bid

I'm a little disappointed , It's been 5 days and 1 bid. I use to work for a classic car place as a prep guy(lowest dude on the totem pole) back early to mid 90's when the .com era was alive. I would prep a car in the morning and it would probably sale by mid-afternoon.

I'll chalk this up for economic hard times. not because there aren't CS fan's out there.

There may be only one bid but there have been 1763 views thus there is interest and people are looking at it...

With examples like this and a reserve thats up there it weeds out the bottom feeder tire kickers. those interested will wait till closer towards auction end or have placed a future bid...
Just my two cents...
Max

Last edited:

CSfan

Reaction score
right

There may be only one bid but there have been 1763 views thus there is interest and people are looking at it...

With examples like this and a reserve thats up there is weeds out the bottom feeder tire kickers. those interested will wait till closer towards auction end or have placed a future bid...
Just my two cents...
Max

Good point!!! I usually bid at the end of auction.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Look at the midnight blue car that sold for 34,600. it didn't clear reserves until the last day - in the last 1.5 hours. here is the summary. and there were 1997 views of the auction ... and 4 bidders above the reserve.

here's hoping an enthusiast buys Peter's beautiful car ... and takes care of it

s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Member Id: t***h
s.gif
( 24
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
) US $34,600.00 Feb-14-11 19:19:39 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
( 24
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
) US $34,600.00 Feb-14-11 19:17:14 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Member Id: h***9
s.gif
( 104
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
) US $34,500.00 Feb-14-11 18:56:40 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
( 24
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
) US $33,346.00 Feb-14-11 17:55:57 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
( 24
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
) US $31,255.00 Feb-14-11 16:07:02 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Member Id: b***1
s.gif
( 1 ) US $30,500.00 Feb-14-11 17:56:35 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Member Id: b***1
s.gif
( 1 ) US $30,100.00 Feb-14-11 17:51:00 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Member Id: j***s
s.gif
( 65
iconBlueStar_25x25.gif
) US $29,050.00 Feb-12-11 18:22:22 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
( 24
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
) US $28,767.00 Feb-14-11 16:03:55 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
( 24
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
) US $28,255.00 Feb-12-11 18:14:53 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Member Id: j***s
s.gif
( 65
iconBlueStar_25x25.gif
) US $28,200.00 Feb-11-11 17:57:26 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif

maxg765

Reaction score
3307 views and no reserve

So, 3307 views $40700.00 as the high bid and did not meet reserve. I am curious as to who on here will end up with it. My guess is the reserve was 45K. Assuming I'm correct, at near 41K one may as well go to 45 (and make Peter happy) but that's just me...

Max