Changing starter.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the 850 csi starter is easier to install in the coupe, it's physically smaller, easier to find new and cheaper...

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just heard back from the Bosch rep; 440 output is 1.4, 441 is 1.7, either is more than sufficient for an e9.

lsquaredb

Reaction score
The starter solenoid of the 850i starter interferes with the bottom of the intake manifold if you’re still running Zeniths.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, just need a bit more clarification: The original starter has two connectors (in addition to the large lug for the battery cable), but I'm having a hard time determining—from photos—exactly how many connectors the 440, 441, and 444 have? I'm assuming that I need a starter with two connectors... Thanks.
IMG_3243.JPG

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Use a multi meter and see if one is switched power during starting only, the original used this terminal to bypass the resistor which isn’t needed, or use it to bypass if you want. The 441 I think has permanent power, never use this terminal to ballast resistor as you will fry your coil.

KHB

Site Donor
Reaction score
Which was the mistake I made. The ballast resistor was hot in 30 seconds. You should find that the smaller of the two male terminals, faces up when installed, has permanent power. I put a ring terminal on the black lead (shown in your photo).

KHB

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry, I should add that I went with the 441x and am very pleased with it. Cranks the engine at least twice as fast as the original starter. The black lead that I added the ring terminal to is on the bottom. The wire hanging below the solenoid is the one I disconnected that bypassed the resistor. As others have stated, it won't be missed with the increased cranking speed.

Attachments

• DSC02052.JPG
    DSC02052.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 290

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
After checking various wiring diagrams and inspecting my car, it seems that it does not have a ballast resistor, and that the resistance is in the wiring (the dashed black and white line on the diagram). Still trying to determine which of the three Bosch starters has a dedicated hot terminal...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
All starters have a dedicated hot terminal. That is what the huge cable that goes directly from the battery to the starter is for.

You need two connections. The huge cable directly to the battery, and a smaller wire to the solenoid that, when the ignition switch is turned to position two, initiates the starter. Look at the picture you posted and try to identify the colors of two wires. They appear to me to be black and black/red. But double check this before referring to your wiring diagram. Once you know the colors, they should correspond to a wiring code or legend in the diagram. Best guess is that the black/red wire is the wire to the coil. See if the diagram confirms this. Alternatively, you can check this by sorting through the wires to the coil and when you find a black/red one near the coil, check for continuity with a multimeter to the red/black wire near the starter. This then would be the wire you do not use.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The trigger from the ignition switch goes the bottom terminal at 6:00. The upper terminal 12:00 is unused, you don’t need to bypass the ballast wire or ballast resistor. The largest terminal gets the big wire from your battery. Your starter will spin so easily you ignore the bypass feature of the early boat anchor starter motor. And unless you have a blue coil you still need the resistor wire.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I didn't have time last night to put a better on the black/red wires, but they do appear to run to the coil.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Still trying to determine whether the second spade connector on the 440, 441, 444 is always hot, or energized by the first connector (the one that's energized by the ignition switch? Thanks!

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
So ended up installing a 441; ordered a 444 but returned it after a bench test determined it wasn't putting out the stated power. Its also larger than the 441. The 440 is very difficult to find... Anyone know the torque spec. for the two mounting bolts? Thanks.
IMG_3300.JPG