Chris and Mike's Polaris E3

D-jetronic

Reaction score
To the both of you

Congrats for your buy,.... a brilliant early E3 indeed.
Enjoy every minute of your future drives in those "armchairs"..

Marc.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We put in a battery and after 6 or 7 weeks of soaking in ATF it turned over and promptly sprayed fluid all over Mike!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
We put in a battery and after 6 or 7 weeks of soaking in ATF it turned over and promptly sprayed fluid all over Mike!

Chris,

Can you explain the ATF trick? Did you have ATF on top of the Pistons to penetrate past the rings? Then crank the motor with the plugs off?

johnl

Reaction score
Chris,

Can you explain the ATF trick? Did you have ATF on top of the Pistons to penetrate past the rings? Then crank the motor with the plugs off?

That is the way I've done it in the past except I use Marvel Mystery Oil. Five years ago I purchased a "barn find" 1953 Chrysler Imperial Newport that had been in slumber for some 25 years. It turned over but we still did the soak trick for a couple of weeks.

Once new plugs were installed and the engine cranked it fired and ran and smoked heavily until the MMO was burned off. Today virtually no smoke or oil consumption and it runs so quiet at idle it is hard to hear it.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yep, a great feeling. I will still pull it and open it up, maybe new rings and a hone, etc. Markos, ATF in the cylinders, no plugs, ATF in the oil pan too but I don't know if that was necessary, it's typically rings rusting in the cylinder bores.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
The money shot!

I actually used a combination of atf, marvels mystery oil, acetone, and some secret sauce. I put it in the cylinders through the spark plug holes, and dumped 3 gallons in the case via the oil cap. I don't know if filling the case did any God; but it certainly didn't hurt. The surprise is when I ended up soaked with all the atf that shot out of the spark plug holes! After today's adventures I think I might be changing careers.

restart

Reaction score
I actually used a combination of atf, marvels mystery oil, acetone, and some secret sauce. I put it in the cylinders through the spark plug holes, and dumped 3 gallons in the case via the oil cap. I don't know if filling the case did any God; but it certainly didn't hurt. The surprise is when I ended up soaked with all the atf that shot out of the spark plug holes! After today's adventures I think I might be changing careers.

That's brilliant! Never heard of that.
Now I know where to stand once the battery is hooked up. Thank you!
What a pleasant surprise.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes Chris has kindly promoted me to head jerk; an action he will soon come to regret.

This is a video we shot with some hi-tech a/v equipment, an iPhone4. As you can probably tell by the the oil soaked shirt, that I am the one hunched over the engine. This happens to be the second shirt that got blasted with the ATF, PB Blaster, and Mystery Oil ****tail. I also have it in my hair and a little residue in my right eye. Chris is manning the heavy camera and the Honorable Mr. Wong is sitting in the driver's seat, ironic...

I am holding down some towels that we packed in to the spark plug holes. I finally wised up after getting squirted 2 times with the atf mixture shooting out of the cylinders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qX1B53U-Go

Last edited: