Chris Auty aka Ski coach Passed Away

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Deeply saddened to learn of Chris' passing. I've only been to New Hampshire a couple of times, and every time I was in the vacinity Chris was up for socialing.

The trip up PCH to Monterey was great fun; Peter "magic hands" Coomararswamy fixing both my misfire and Chris' stubborn trunk lock in one 15 minute rest stop, steaks and cocktails with TodB and Chris and Mike "Cardinal Balboni" Balabon, the joy of the award at the Quail, and the Bovensiepen signature on the car.

That little video from Lime Rock was another excellent adventure with Chris, this time I learned all about his Frua obsession. And that dance - toward the end of the day as the crowd thinned out Chris just jumped up and let loose.

Excellent taste in cars, but more importantly a great guy to be around. I'll miss him.

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
One of my favorite stories of Chris from that week in Monterey, and there are many, was one day at the track. Chris was proudly displaying his CSL, along with his Quail trophy for best of show, at Mario’s trailer which was parked in the paddock area at Laguna Seca. We had just watched Andreas Bovensiepen (Owner of Alpina) run laps in his Alpina C1. Andreas came into the paddock area near where Mario’s trailer was stationed. Chris ran over the Andreas, addressed him as “Andy” and insisted that "Andy" come over and take a look at his CSL. "Andy" graciously accepted, at which time Chris insisted that “Andy” sit in his CSL for a photo-op with his car and sign the air cleaner. The entire time of their interaction “Andy" was all smiles and spent time admiring the CSL

Chris had the ability to light up a room or occasion, even with complete strangers. His joie de vivre was contagious; as witnessed that day at the track with “Andy”.

Rest in peace my friend…you will be sorely missed by all.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Really sad about this. I only met Chris once briefly at Limerock when we parked next to each other. Best to his family and friends. He will be missed.

Last edited:

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am way over here. No way to meet any of most of you. But I sold Chris a power steering set-up a couple of years ago, and, the entire interaction, from inquiry to transaction to shipping to delivery, was a treat. What a great guy, a real enthusiast, he was genuine in his search for the correct bits to improve his car. Someone we would all like to meet and sit down with and share a few stories. Many of us are his age or close. Chilling. RIP Chris. Mike

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m so sad to hear this. Had wonderful private conversations with him over the years. My good ortho partner, Vern Cooley, operated on his son Jack who was on the US ski team. Everyone remembers and was impressed with Chris. This hurts.

TodB

Reaction score
One of my favorite stories of Chris from that week in Monterey, and there are many, was one day at the track. Chris was proudly displaying his CSL, along with his Quail trophy for best of show, at Mario’s trailer which was parked in the paddock area at Laguna Seca. We had just watched Andreas Bovensiepen (Owner of Alpina) run laps in his Alpina C1. Andreas came into the paddock area near where Mario’s trailer was stationed. Chris ran over the Andreas, addressed him as “Andy” and insisted that "Andy" come over and take a look at his CSL. "Andy" graciously accepted, at which time Chris insisted that “Andy” sit in his CSL for a photo-op with his car and sign the air cleaner. The entire time of their interaction “Andy" was all smiles and spent time admiring the CSL

Chris had the ability to light up a room or occasion, even with complete strangers. His joie de vivre was contagious; as witnessed that day at the track with “Andy”.

Rest in peace my friend…you will be sorely missed by all.
When Chris went to retrieve "Andy" from the driver's paddock, the rest of us were convinced he would come back empty. Literally 5 minutes later, along comes Andreas walking toward us and still in his drivers suit, with Chris walking sideways next to him jabbering in his ear. As Michael said, Andreas was very gracious and genuinely interested in Chris' car which has a number of Alpina parts on it.

My other Chris story involves my 2002 which I bought out of Toronto in Spring, 2017. The delivery route was for it to cross the border and make its way to VSR where it would have a quick check up before being loaded on a truck and pointed South to me. I happened to be up for work in Boston and went to see and drive the car at VSR for the first time. Chris happened to be there and went along on my maiden 2002 voyage.

"Isn't this great? I am so happy for you" said Chris. I've never forgotten that drive but mostly remember Chris' honest excitement for me and my new-to-me car. It was pure and heartfelt. Unfortunately, that was the last time I saw him, but also the Chris Auty I'll remember the most.

RIP car brother.

AndyB.jpeg

DTS

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris embodied what it means to be a gentleman. He was astute, witty, decisive, and kind. He had a lofty sense of humor, paired with an honest to goodness ability to be happy for others.

In a short amount of time, he showed me his genuine appreciation for life. It was obvious that he held the big picture in view, and that he didn’t separate what it meant to be honorable and straightforward in business vs. interpersonal conduct. As a result, it was easy to feel an immediate sense of kinship around him, as well as the kind of trust that makes you smile.

I had the good fortune to have had Chris share with me various stories of why he loved BMW’s, and why he cherished the friendships he cultivated while stewarding them.

Mario Langsten was the captain of several restoration projects they undertook together. Chris offered his permission to go the extra mile, and to push the limits of possibilities. He offered a clear vision, the energy to inspire, and the perseverance to search the ends of the earth for countless unobtainable parts. Together they were able to foster a meaningful friendship, and a rhythm of mutual respect that manifest in several exceptional restorations. Among them were the 1600 GT’s and the CSL.

Looking back further, it was 28 years ago, at age 40, that Chris bought his first coupe from a retired BMW dealer that sold it to him with 18,000 miles on it. In his own words, “it was perfect!” Sometime later and much to the chagrin of his wife Alex, he decided to sell the coupe in exchange for a late model Porsche. That coupe would go on to win multiple Greenwich concours.

As many of you know, Chris’s attention to detail and quest for perfection was insatiable, yet not tormenting. He appreciated craft and precision while recognizing the importance of patina.

We discussed the difference between preservation and legacy, the latter of which being a far greater duty and privilege that we should never lose sight of.

He described his car journeys through clear-spoken and lyrical storytelling. Weaving one thread through the next, his ruminations captured his detective like commitment to learning about the history of each car. This would include the stories of as many prior owners as he could track down, or anyone else that had some connection with the vehicles. His enthusiasm and curiosity were nothing other than energizing.

My time with Chris was an enriching reminder to take nothing for granted, to express one’s gratitude often, to be rigorous and focused, but not take everything so seriously, to be a go-getter, and lastly, that each moment of our lives is in fact a form of ‘legacy’. It’s up to us to decide what type of legacy we will leave.

It’s clear by these posts that Chris was able to touch many of us with his generous and jovial nature. The world has lost a fine man, but his legacy will no doubt live on.

May he rest in peace.