Chrome Exhaust Tip

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is driving me nuts--nothing so trivial should cause such shame and inadequacy. Suggestions on how to fix/remove this preferably without destroying it would be greatly appreciated. I've tried removing in less aggressive ways but can't get it to budge. Is the pipe-end typically flared?

IMG_2438.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tap it in a bit more. Use a tailpipe cutter to trim off
the flared end. Then tap the chrome tip out.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
One other thing you can do to get a straight cut is to stick a hose clamp on there, then use a hacksaw. The hose clamp helps to keep the blade from wandering. Two hoseclamps works better. If you go slow, you can probably even use a reciprocating saw with two hose clamps. You'll need to run a file over the area when done.

Much easier but I use this method to cut cardboard shipping tubes down to size.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Multiple applications of good penetrating oil like Kroil or Penephite from both ends before the application of the grease. Use a piece of hard wood - oak or maple - between the inner end of the chrome piece and your hammer.

Gary-

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jay,

Another thing to make your life easier. The tailpipe is held on with three nuts at the muffler plus the hanger. It will be a lot easier to work on it if you remove the tailpipe. Plus you can hit it with high heat rustoleum once your tip is fixed.

mr bump

Reaction score
You will only remove that tip if you cut the flared end off. Don't try removing it without cutting the flare off as you will damage the chrome tip.
Chrome exhaust tips usually have a inner rolled lip to stop it sliding up the pipe.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Jay, Another thing to make your life easier. The tailpipe is held on with three nuts at the muffler plus the hanger. It will be a lot easier to work on it if you remove the tailpipe. Plus you can hit it with high heat rustoleum once your tip is fixed.

Yep, I'm pulling it off and then dropping it off at muffler shop. Interrupted by finally getting OK to sell the ignored swagger wagon. Joyous end of our minivan/SUV time. I forgot how much it sucks to detail a kids- and dog-carrying minivan--so much real estate. Just gotta find the burner phone & reactivate for Craigslist.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not trying to be stupid, but how did it get on there?...

Not stupid. My providing a stupid description is an ever-present possibility, however. Upon further inspection this weekend, it doesn't appear flared symmetrically, like a pro using flaring tool or expander. I suspect it may have been the incorrect-sized pipe or tip and was crimped in place too aggressively or they created a slight flare to keep it there. Either way, I'd have to cut up the tip to get it off at this point, and exhaust replacement is down the list with engine.

Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
If your exhaust is a 60 mm diameter stock pipe (one flowing curve, not shaped with ~4 bends), then it's an NLA part. replacements do exist, but are very different to the eye.
Unless yours has rust holes, it may have some value for someone. (fyi, 55 mm is for the 2,5 and 2,8 l engines; 60 mm for 3.0 engines)

I'm on the other side of the pond, and I haven't been able to locate a new 60 mm pipe.
If yours is 60 mm, then I'm interested.

Shipping cost may make this a stupid proposal: Send the tailpipe to me, I will get the tip off cleanly and send the tip back to you. We can discuss cost.

Last edited:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If your exhaust is a 60 mm diameter stock pipe (one flowing curve, not shaped with ~4 bends), then it's an NLA part. replacements do exist, but are very different to the eye.
Unless yours has rust holes, it may have some value for someone. (fyi, 55 mm is for the 2,5 and 2,8 l engines; 60 mm for 3.0 engines)

Ahhh. This likely explains it. It’s a 55mm pipe—bends instead of curve—so they probably rigged 60 mm tip to stay on in some way I haven’t noticed. Sorry it doesn’t help you.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well... 55 mm tail pipe chrome ends are still available from BMW. So you might have a normal 55 mm tailpipe, a normal 55 mm chrome end.
In your pic, the end of the lightly rusted pipe seems to rise up about a mm. Did a previous owner give the steel pipe a little flairing; enough to make it near impossible to slide it off?

if that is the case, then only option is to chop the last few mm's off your steel pipe.