Chroming grills from Speedway

EJ333

Reaction score
What would be a ballpark estimate to have all four hood and fender grills chromed by Speedway ?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are you talking about RE-chroming metal ones? Because the black ones are plastic and, to my knowledge, cannot be chromed.

TodB

Reaction score
I got my black side drills vacuum plated. They've held up well almost 20 years later. The company was out West in BC but no longer provides the service.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The “chrome” ones are plastic also. Well, except for the elusive and yet-to-be-proven metal ones.

steve in reno

Reaction score
I personally have never seen a BMW metal side or hood grill.
I had mine vacuum plated in the 1990's. They have been on my car ever since and the plating is in excellent shape.
Done by Chuck's Plating in BC Canada, long since closed and out of business.
Many have researched for a new platter for the plastic parts, but I have not heard of any success.
A shame

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had mine vacuum plated in the 1990's. They have been on my car ever since and the plating is in excellent shape.
Many have researched for a new platter for the plastic parts, but I have not heard of any success.
A shame
Perhaps the guy who did mine a number of years ago. He chromed and then nickel plated or vice versa, can't remember which. It was about $500. for all four. Beautiful, still look perfect, expensive at the time. I can research him if anyone wants. He did, at the time chrome plating for high end furniture makers like Knoll.

Steve

inovermyhead

Reaction score
There’s a company in Adelaide ( Australia ) that can chrome plastic, I have seen some of there work and it looks good, they do a lot of hot rod and custom car stuff. l eventually just bought new ones for my car because the cost was similar but I would be happy to try and find their details if needed.

Cheers. John

steve in reno

Reaction score
John.
If you have a plastic platter, there are many on our forum that could use there services.
My cost when done was less than Steve's. More on the $150 total for all grills, 2 fender sets and 2 hood, and several sets of the armrest tops.
But that was in the last century!

I realize that you are on the other side of the world. But, I have not heard of any plastic platters in the USA.

So Steve, it would be great for the forum to check out your source since more local to US members

A great find for repair to NLA part!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A shame
i sent somebody on this forum a set of used ones (free) and they were metal ... so i know they exist. they were not the shiny all over chrome ... they were matte on the sides and polished chrome on the top

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i sent somebody on this forum a set of used ones (free) and they were metal ... so i know they exist. they were not the shiny all over chrome ... they were matte on the sides and polished chrome on the top

I’m not saying that they don’t exist. We just don’t have proof yet. Folks chiming in that theirs are metal is a good start, but not proof. I want to weigh them. Pot metal will weigh more than plastic.

I’m guessing that since you had them in your hand it was evident that they were metal.

Here are my satin side shiny front plastic fender grills. Yup - that is a rain drop...

D17AFF2A-683D-4C82-80C1-A86D19C787EF.jpeg

EJ333

Reaction score
Yikes, not only pricey, you can only find a left here and a right there, but not a matching pair at the same time.