Classic Braid Wire Wrap... Anyone tried this?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/painless-performance-powerbraid-wire-wrap

Not for those looking for factory correctness of course but this seems like a nice way to protect those tired wiring looms and dress up the engine bay. Removing and replacing the original tape would be the official way to do it but if you're not doing a concours car but don't want to stoop down to the corrugated plastic level and are just looking for a clean bay... Lots of positive feedback on the Summit web site.

Has anyone here tried this?

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bo,

We need to talk, don't take the easy way out, rewrapping is very easy! You may regret it years from now when coupes are even more expensive.

Chris

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
fairly standard stuff.
i have it in parts of the wire loom in the engine bay
behind the block and thru the fender into the chassie

jmackro

Reaction score
Lots of positive feedback on the Summit web site.

Well, yea. What else would Summit post?

I agree with Chris - Summit's split sleeving won't fit tightly - you'll need to add tie wraps to make it hold on - and it will look all wrong. Wrapping your harness with non-adhesive "tape" is easy and will give the proper look.

The correct product is readily available - even Amazon sells it: https://www.amazon.com/Tesa-Wire-Loom-Harness-Mercedes/dp/B00EH6IZ6Y

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That Tesa tape is remarkable stuff.
Really tough and good looking too.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tesa baby!!! Go buy a Camaro If you want to use the summit stuff. As with any shortcut you save now and pay dearly later.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bav wrap is all intact, we don't need no stinkin Tesa tape! (but I did buy a roll for my 635 and it's awesome).

You guys remind me of that Seinfeld episode where Puddy (sp?) wouldn't give Jerry back his Saab because he thought Jerry was not worthy.

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used Tesa before and it was very nice but then in my obsession I found something that looks *exactly* like the factory tape, plus it also comes in the unusual 9mm width that some harnesses use in the 'open' style wrap. Go here http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/847/category/68 and then click on the pic to blow it up; it's the same texture as the factory tape but not as thick as similar-looking alternatives, like hockey stick tape or gaffer's tape which do not conform well to the harness wrapping. Some Ebay sellers now offer it.