Classic Cars as investment - article by Jeremy Clarkson in Sunday Times - 5 August 2018

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
BMW 3.0 CSL (presumably City Pack RHD car) suggested to be worth £150,000 (c. $193,500) +
IMG_4855.JPG
IMG_4856.JPG

Any views?

Marco

The only thing that helps me is knowing when I sold my '69 E-Type Roadster it was because I had to make the choice between that and a '72 3.0CS. The kids still fit in the back seat and we actually used the car quite a bit. The E-type needed cosmetic work, although was nearly rust free, so I decided to let it go. I should've tried to hoard it but times were different.

Ya, I kind of regret selling my 1971 Plymouth 'CUda 383 Convertible 4 years ago for $40k. It needed a lot of work, but it was pretty rare but can't find one done under $150k.

yes, everybody will have a sad story.... years ago i doubted between a second hand FGT ( 150k) and a new BMW 650 convertible (100k)…. 4 years later i got 27k for the BMW.... :mad: wrong choice :D

I bought my CSL in 1982. At that time I could have bought a Ferrari Dino or a Porsche 2.7 Carrera for similar money. Look at the values of those cars now.
My own tale of woe is selling a 1962 Stratocaster for £110 in 1977.

Kick myself I didn't trade my 1933 Packard Twelve Coupe Roadster for a 1962 Ferrari Series II PF Cabriolet in 2002. Sold the Packard last year for what it was worth in 2002. The Ferrari auction estimates this year are $1.5-$1.8 million. https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24811/lot/62/?category=list&length=10&page=7

View attachment 50208 View attachment 50209 View attachment 50210 View attachment 50211

The Ferrari doesn't have those beautiful headlights that mimic the beautiful grill!

Talk about regrets.

My first car was a '69 Dodge Charger RT with factory air that I paid $300 bucks for. I don't remember what I sold if for but it wasn't much.

When my wife and I got married I bought a '69 Camaro RS Convertible that my uncle's friend ordered from the factory, making me the second owner. He was an engineer and he had a log of every time he filled it up. I had it for 6 years but really wanted something European. I sold it for $16K to buy a 280SL in 2001 ( I wanted a coupe but could not find a good one and the SL was next on my list).

I paid 16K for the 1971 280SL, bought it from a older couple in Portland. Another highly documented car, even had the original window sticker from Mercedes of Beverly Hills. The car had very nice new paint, a new blue canvas top, all of the aluminum pieces matched (stamped with the same number), correct factory spot welds on inner fenders, etc... I redid the interior (did the wood myself) and had the front bumper and grill re-chromed. The car was beautiful but about as fun to drive as an old truck. I sold it for $25K in 2003 to buy my coupe.

I bought the coupe for 11K and at the time I thought I paid too much, cosmetically it needed everything but it was a longtime AZ car with a beautiful rust free body. It
also had two of my other requirements, it was Fjord and it had a sunroof. It remains my favorite car ever.

Finally, it's worth more than the Camaro (by a long shot) and the Pagoda.

Last edited:
Wow, I thought you were joking, but the price really has been revised on the ad.
The Jeremy Clarkson effect.

I know RHD Csl prices are still going north , but 15k increase in 24hrs is unbelievable!!!

I best increase my agreed insurance valuation to 500k lol

this evil man
he writes and acts like an angel, his shows are so good,
but he is such a ....person

classic cars price bubble, it is an old topic now
did i mentioned i saw the most expensive csl alpina early carbed car sold for 420k€ ? that was april this year, four months ago ! maybe we are now in the 1/2 million

Back