Cleaning an original e9 Headliner

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
While we are on the subject of cleaning I need recommendations for cleaning the original headliner in my 74 euro Italian delivery coupe.

But of course it is never that simple.

Last fall/winter early spring I had my first serious mold problem. Vinyl, headliner, you name it. A long discussion ensued about dehumidifiers. Yes, I am purchasing one soon! I live in SE PA, deep woods, 80' deciduous trees shade the brick floor, uninsulated, unheated garage 8-9 months of the year. Humidity readings of 45% in the middle of winter! Off the chart in summer and getting worse. Read climate change.

If you are thinking of clicking off, stay with me. Took my coupe to my upholsterer who can work small miracles. But declared the mold on my headliner was terminal and we started talking a new one.

Mentioned it to another coupe guy who knows more about everything than I do by a factor of 10.

He laughed and said "Trisodium Phospate." Bought a box, mixed it with some warm water, scrubbed(yes, scrubbed) with the soft side of a "Rescue Pad" from the kitchen.

Mold is gone!

Now, I have no idea how aggressive, toxic, or damaging this stuff is to my headliner. But if it starts to fall off in pieces on to my head five years from now, so be it.

So, given the application of TSP to my original headliner, what do you recommend as a cleaner.

Thank you for reading this far.

Steve

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have used soft scrub successfully before but that was when my interior was out to install new carpet. I also used to use whitewall tire cleaner on my 2002 years ago. Both have some bleach so you would need to cover/ protect your seats, carpet, dash, and parcel shelf.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have used soft scrub successfully before but that was when my interior was out to install new carpet. I also used to use whitewall tire cleaner on my 2002 years ago. Both have some bleach so you would need to cover/ protect your seats, carpet, dash, and parcel shelf.
Thanks, sounds like a plan.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here is my 2.5 cents; I had the moldy headliner thing going on and I wanted to avoid taking the headliner down at all costs... BUT, I did take it down and when I did the smell was awful! There is all manner of decayed crap up there if it's original- AND if you put in a new headliner you will have that "new headliner smell". You mentioned that you have someone who can do the job so for 350.00 I can point you in the right direction of what many consider the very best available material and I feel it's an absolute necessity to have it re-done. It took me 2 days to get the headliner in correctly so if your guy says he can do it let him/her. :)