Cleaning weber air cleaners

piezopaul

Reaction score
Guys,
My E9 has triple side draft webers with foam air cleaners which I'd like to clean. I loosened one of the retaining straps which hold the cleaners in place, but I still couldn't slide the cleaners off the carb ends or trumpets. Anything else holding them on or do I just need to tug harder? Do the retaining straps need to come all the way off? Thanks- Paul

mdf

Reaction score
Air cleaners

What you do next depends on type of cleaner or trumpet you have---but basically you need to loosen the clamp open up the foam sock as wide as possible and pull. The worse that could happen is that you tear open the foam. So pull hard enough to remove the filter/sock but not so hard that it tears. Good luck. MF

jmackro

Reaction score
Not knowing the brand of air cleaner that you're using, it is difficult to answer with precision. But don't be too sure that the foam can be cleaned. As foam ages, it begins to crumble. Soaking it in solvent could accelerate this process. And, you do NOT want your engine ingesting air cleaner droppings. So, if the elements are old enough to be dirty, they are probably at their end-of-life.

Weiand filters use foam ovals that are readily available. K&N filters have cleanable elements. That about exhausts the brands that I know.