clock upgrade

alanmcg

Reaction score
anybody know about a modern clock movement that can be retrofit into our clocks? seems like there should be a very cheap and accurate quartz clock that can be made to work?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Alan,

I am sure North Hollywood Speedometer does these all the time. You can hear my clock ticking as soon as you enter the car but it keeps perfect time even after 38 years and I have come to appreciate this unique feature.

Chris

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine loses 2-3 minutes a week. It's mechanical - a motor winds it and then it ticks away until it cycles again.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Same here. 40 year old clock keeps time better than my iphone...

Btw, isn´t the original clock quartz as well?

Believe the late coupes (post 72?) were fitted with VDO quartz clocks. Should be labeled on the face bottom with the words Quartz-Zeit.

Dave L

Reaction score
Clock fix

Probably a few years ago, someone (I'm sure it was on this forum) posted a procedure for fixing the clock. As most of them have stopped working over the years, I remember this person figured out that it was just a small fuse internally in the clock that a good DIY'er could replace themselves. If anyone remembers this (and where the procedure is) please post. I could not find it in a search of threads.

Dave L

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Probably a few years ago, someone (I'm sure it was on this forum) posted a procedure for fixing the clock. As most of them have stopped working over the years, I remember this person figured out that it was just a small fuse internally in the clock that a good DIY'er could replace themselves. If anyone remembers this (and where the procedure is) please post. I could not find it in a search of threads.

Dave L

May have been this thread: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5586&highlight=clock+repair

echappe

Reaction score
north hollywood speedometer has a fix that replaces the clock movement with a new OEM movement for a porsche. It was about $175, 7 years ago and keeps on ticking!
Ernest

jmackro

Reaction score
Probably a few years ago, someone (I'm sure it was on this forum) posted a procedure for fixing the clock. As most of them have stopped working over the years, I remember this person figured out that it was just a small fuse internally in the clock that

Yes, though that procedure only applies to the early mechanical clocks - not to the later quartz ones. And, of course, it does nothing for a clock that runs fast/slow.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did repair mine but never bothered to adjust the accuracy because I see that it depends on the time of the year (temperature?).

At least I can look at the clock and paraphrase Galileo: "Eppur si muove!"

Dave L

Reaction score
Clock repair

I do have an old clock and that procedure is exactly what I was looking for. I dont mind taking a few minutes to repair mine and see what happens before forking out the $ on a quartz rebuild. Thank you Arde for that original post.

Dave L