CO2 emissions g/km?

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are emissions figures for a 73 CS U.S. spec car in this Road & Track article found in the E9 Tech Info section of this site. While I doubt it will pass any sort of official muster, I still find it interesting that they included it. I have no idea where the data came from though. Manufacturer? EPA (which would have only been 3 years old at that point)? Tailpipe sniffer?

Quick edit - I just noticed they don't even list CO2. Of course these figures were probably more oriented towards a reduction in smog and improvement in overall air quality as opposed to tracking greenhouse gasses. Oh how our understanding of the world changes.

Last edited:

johanaxelson

Reaction score
My thinking as well Drew. The Spanish border and Badajoz are just 30 minutes away. I will investigate whether I can find a dry garage there, perhaps a dealer's garage, where I can put it away as required. That means sorting out the Swiss insurance, but again, worth investigating.
These rules were created to address earlier practices whereby Portuguese would buy used cars in Europe and import them, thereby avoiding much of the local PT tax. Now the pendulum has swung wide, and caught the oldtimers in the process.

If you relocate from CH yourself you won't be able to keep it regged there for very long, less than one year IIRC. So, two options, make a temporary sale to someone in the EU and then buy it back when you have settled in Portugal. Alternatively, register it in someone else's name in CH.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Johan. I happened across an oldtimer rally during my last visit. I chatted with a fellow with a nice E-type jag and mentioned the tax hit. He explained that once I change my tax residence and relocate to PT, I can import one of my cars tax free as part of my household personal goods, plus a second as my wife has the right as well. So that covers my E9 and Tii! Close enough!