Code for Caribe?

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey all! I stopped by a local paint store to get a pint of caribe to test on an old panel, and the guys couldn’t find the code anywhere. I know the 059 code, but he can’t get anymore info on it. Does anyone know how I can track it down? I’m thinking this might be my color, but I want to see it on a body panel first..
Thanks!
Stephen

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Caribe is a very nice color. a bluer version of agave, but a similar color. have you tried to get a sample from Glasurit? not saying that a current version would perfectly match the original, but it should at least be in the ballpark

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I couldn't get anywhere on the actual mix for Caribe, so I picked up a half pint of Riviera to spray on a scrap panel...I'm feeling like it's fairly close to Caribe and might be a better choice for a 73 e3..I'll report back...

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, so here's a test panel of riviera, two coats of Nason single stage (not a ton of prep, so it's not very clean). I'll probably do bc/cc for actual paint job. It's so much darker with inside light vs sunlight. I like it in the sun, but not so much inside..Pretty crazy. I still can't help but want some sort of mid/light green to look at....
Testpaint1.jpg
Testpaint2.jpg

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
The paint code 059 isn't the problem, those numbers are everywhere...the shop accessing the actual formula was my issue. I think maybe they're just too small of a shop, so I'm going to contact Galsurit or Scottie's, as Keshev suggested in a pm. no worries. I may look for a green, too. I'm all about originality, but I'm just not liking what I've been seeing...for me, anyway. If I can at least keep it a bmw color, I'd be happy, but I need to stop thinking about what a potential buyer would think..LOL. I want to keep this one for a long time..:)

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry I did not notice that this was for a e3 sedan, perhaps they have different colors
Yeah, I have pics of most all of the colors, but they tend to change from pic to pic, so my plan is to do a spray out of a few that I like to see. The Riviera looks gorgeous in daylight, but awful in the shade...just my opinion...I may try a couple greens, too...maybe ResedaGrun...might be too wild for an e3..

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have any of you looked at Sikkens paint? It is as good as it gets. Google them, you will like what you see.
I definitely like Sikkens, I've used it, I believe, in the past..but paint has gotten insanely expensive lately, so I have to factor that in, too. What I used to shoot for $400-$600 is now $1200+...it's crazy..

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@StephenZ ... i love Riviera and i think it looks excellent on a 2002 or an e3. i've never seen it on a coupe in person ... but i love the color. your spray panel looks correct to my eye. i realize i am looking at a photo on a computer screen ... but i like it.

Christoph

Reaction score
Caribe 059 may have been available for the E3 in the last months of 1968. We have no evidence yet that it was acually painted on an E3 though. Mainly it was used for the Neue Klasse four door cars. It is quite similar to Riviera, only a little greyer, as far as I remember. I like it.

The German paint company Spies-Hecker might help with a recipe. Their page was quite outdated last time I looked. Spies-Hecker used to be a good address for solvent based paints. Don't think they do water based stuff at all.