Coilover / air suspension kit from Europe?

mane

Reaction score
Suspension is done. Looking good.
541DDE71-36D5-4955-96EE-8834BAA4919D.jpeg
859705C1-FB2D-4002-ACC1-8172ACA2B587.jpeg
1925D485-5157-4316-8765-9D9BABE0A159.jpeg
758442D5-4F71-4910-B3EE-3E16CF25E19C.jpeg

JohnFBD

Reaction score
Okay, research is over. Plan is to get a BC Racing coilover kit, Airlift 3H, Airlift tank, Viaair 444C compressor, OCD single yellow bags to front (direct fitment) and OCD universal bags to rear. Rear bag needs some custom supports, but everything else should be plug and play.

What I heard from pros is that TA Technix kit is the very low end stuff that you can get. Airrex bag kit is better, but its control system is poor.

BC Racing is quality kit, and using that with proper control system like Airlift 3H makes it very solid setup and not too expensive. Talking about 3600 euros total, with all the required equipment.
Hi there, I'm looking at your airbag solution, very interested in a little more detail on the components you used, are you able to let me know the complete parts you used. Like you I have come to the conclusion that the kits like TA Technix are low end (plus I like the Airlift 3H iphone app :) )

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm looking at your airbag solution, very interested in a little more detail on the components you used, are you able to let me know the complete parts you used. Like you I have come to the conclusion that the kits like TA Technix are low end (plus I like the Airlift 3H iphone app :) )
I'm getting closer to installing my Air Lift suspension on my E3. The front is the same but the rear has struts so it's easier than doing a coupe (I'm assuming). It would be nice to see how @mane did the struts in the front. I got lucky with mine, I'll post a bunch of photos when I do the mod.

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
Back to coil overs for a second. I’m in the process of replacing all my steering linkage and maybe removing mount support and send it out to powder coating. This would be a good time to replace my shocks.
What are my options? What’s everyone’s thoughts on coil overs and what’s a good brand to pick up?

mane

Reaction score
Bags and BC dampers are now installed, but ran into problem with both front and rear. In front, it's just super hard - no matter what setting you dial on top of the strut (0-30). At rear, there is no dampening at all.. also dialing the adjustment screw, does not help. It bounces like crazy and no dampening whatsoever.

Anyone run into problem like this with BC Racing kit for E9? Only difference is that I have those bags instead of coils. Front bags are OCD "hollow" -type, and rear have universal OCD bags.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Back to coil overs for a second. I’m in the process of replacing all my steering linkage and maybe removing mount support and send it out to powder coating. This would be a good time to replace my shocks.
What are my options? What’s everyone’s thoughts on coil overs and what’s a good brand to pick up?
my advice is to talk to Mario at VSR. he has tested just about everything on different BMW models ... what i know is that he liked the KW v3 setup, that RAAB classic developed, so much that he became a dealer. he has put their system on his 2002 and his e28 m5 and says that it has totally transformed the cars

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
With absolutely no air, it's rock hard? And you can't push down on the car any?

Sounds like something is locked up w/those shocks.

mane

Reaction score
Without any air, I think it touches the wheel well, so can't really test that. But almost empty I have tested it, and it was the same. Pushing it down with your hands on back, it just bounces.. no damping, and at front, it's very hard.. Barely moves at all.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven't dealt with coils AND bags so my experience may not matter. With my Air Lift Performance bags on struts the ride height doesn't come into play when you're adjusting the pressure. Rule of thumb is to use pressure and damping selections to set the ride you want and ignore the height. Once the ride is what you want you turn the struts to set the height. Not sure with coils, but something sounds very wrong if you're adjusting the pressure and nothing changes. Can you post some photos of the setup?

mane

Reaction score
Found the problem at the back. Dampers were adjusted so , that the highest position is the ride height. So when hitting a bump, it went down but coming back up it stopped and made the back jump as there was no damping way up.

After fixing that, it was better but still very hard. Need to investigate some other options. Seems like BC Racing is not a good choice E9.