colors and value

cookbw

Reaction score
I'm having my 73 csi painted next month after bare metal resto is complete. I'm having a heck of a time deciding on color.

Although I can't imagine ever selling my coupe, I obviously want to preserve its value. The problem is I'm in love with a newer bmw color called "orient blue" and think it would look great on the coupe. Original color is Fjord.

My Q is this...How much does it drop value of a coupe to have a non-original color?

cookbw

Reaction score
I'm having my 73 csi painted next month after bare metal resto is complete. I'm having a heck of a time deciding on color.

Although I can't imagine ever selling my coupe, I obviously want to preserve its value. The problem is I'm in love with a newer bmw color called "orient blue" and think it would look great on the coupe. Original color is Fjord.

My Q is this...How much does it drop value of a coupe to have a non-original color?

gpetrus

Reaction score
This is a classified for an 8 series in orient blue
http://www.motorbase.com/classifieds/viewad.ehtml?a=1315148778;

If I saw this on an e9 I would think it was Atlantik and not give it much thought. Shades of blue even from the same color vary. Mine used to be baikal and I think I have seen 10 different shades of baikal due to the age of coupes and them being repainted.

Unless it's a CSL or a completely stock coupe that has never been touched(does such a thing exist) my feeling is the color wouldn't detract from the value unless it was something really odd, like pink.

gpetrus

Reaction score
This is a classified for an 8 series in orient blue
http://www.motorbase.com/classifieds/viewad.ehtml?a=1315148778;

If I saw this on an e9 I would think it was Atlantik and not give it much thought. Shades of blue even from the same color vary. Mine used to be baikal and I think I have seen 10 different shades of baikal due to the age of coupes and them being repainted.

Unless it's a CSL or a completely stock coupe that has never been touched(does such a thing exist) my feeling is the color wouldn't detract from the value unless it was something really odd, like pink.

dtortoise9

Reaction score
dtortoise9

I have seen that color before on a Coupe and with saddle interior it looks stunning. I own a black exterior and tan interior car and that's not bad either.

dtortoise9

Reaction score
dtortoise9

I have seen that color before on a Coupe and with saddle interior it looks stunning. I own a black exterior and tan interior car and that's not bad either.

Shawn

Reaction score
I would suggest you stay with a factory, period color. I have seen many coupes that are painted with colors from the mid 80's and they look OK but never have that feel created form the original color palette. Since you are doing a metal up paint be very careful in this decision. It will be very expensive and painful to go back at a later date. Either way it will look great, and of course do what you will, but with a amount of period colors to choose from I would think you might find one that would work. Maybe Nachtblau?

Shawn

Reaction score
I would suggest you stay with a factory, period color. I have seen many coupes that are painted with colors from the mid 80's and they look OK but never have that feel created form the original color palette. Since you are doing a metal up paint be very careful in this decision. It will be very expensive and painful to go back at a later date. Either way it will look great, and of course do what you will, but with a amount of period colors to choose from I would think you might find one that would work. Maybe Nachtblau?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't have any data to back up my opinion, but every time I see a coupe that isn't painted an original color it detracts from the car. Whether or not it would be harder to sell I can't say, but its the first thing I notice and from that point on its never as nice. The other comment I have is that Fjord is considered one of better or more popular colors for resale (I think) and would be a good one to keep original in my opinion. Of course, Fjord is high on my list of coupe colors. :D

Dan

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't have any data to back up my opinion, but every time I see a coupe that isn't painted an original color it detracts from the car. Whether or not it would be harder to sell I can't say, but its the first thing I notice and from that point on its never as nice. The other comment I have is that Fjord is considered one of better or more popular colors for resale (I think) and would be a good one to keep original in my opinion. Of course, Fjord is high on my list of coupe colors. :D

Dan

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe I'm biased (my '74 is Fjord w/ a tan interior) but this particular blue always reads differently depending upon the light. It can range from a subtle, powdery pale blue to medium blue to a deeper, almost violet-blue. The paint, chrome, and tan interior really set each other off. Its not as vivid and strong as Nachtblau, and although I love Baikal, I feel that the overall impression of Fjord is more understated and sophisticated.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe I'm biased (my '74 is Fjord w/ a tan interior) but this particular blue always reads differently depending upon the light. It can range from a subtle, powdery pale blue to medium blue to a deeper, almost violet-blue. The paint, chrome, and tan interior really set each other off. Its not as vivid and strong as Nachtblau, and although I love Baikal, I feel that the overall impression of Fjord is more understated and sophisticated.

pj

Reaction score
this is a tough one ,
polaris is cool but too common it seems every coupe out there gets repainted polaris
Fjord is washed out IMHO
Red don't work for me Sorry Arde
sahara is very subtle
Inka is king
Black is beautiful
shannons combo works for me
The Kermit green is beautiful and very 70's
Naughtblue (Kurt Ds) is very nice
chamonix is nice but doesn't really show the lines of the car the best

One coupe that really got me was the grp 5 csl that was stuck to the wall at some show in europe deep purple with m colorerd stripes, well that and the calder coupe.

But hey what do I know I drive a dakar Yellow M3

pj

Reaction score
this is a tough one ,
polaris is cool but too common it seems every coupe out there gets repainted polaris
Fjord is washed out IMHO
Red don't work for me Sorry Arde
sahara is very subtle
Inka is king
Black is beautiful
shannons combo works for me
The Kermit green is beautiful and very 70's
Naughtblue (Kurt Ds) is very nice
chamonix is nice but doesn't really show the lines of the car the best

One coupe that really got me was the grp 5 csl that was stuck to the wall at some show in europe deep purple with m colorerd stripes, well that and the calder coupe.

But hey what do I know I drive a dakar Yellow M3

YBNormal

Reaction score
Feeling Blue

A very nice combination is Estoril blue with the very light grey interior, found on many 90's M3's. I'll probably stick with Fjord when I get "round tuit" with the body work on mine, since it has a dark blue cloth interior in good shape. But if I was going for a complete ReDoo that combo would be at the top of the list.

YBNormal

Reaction score
Feeling Blue

A very nice combination is Estoril blue with the very light grey interior, found on many 90's M3's. I'll probably stick with Fjord when I get "round tuit" with the body work on mine, since it has a dark blue cloth interior in good shape. But if I was going for a complete ReDoo that combo would be at the top of the list.