Complete 1970 R&T E9 - 2000CS Comparison

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
All these pictures I pilfered from an eBay listing. The styling evaluation is interesting. Bonus sedan material. Sorry if this has been posted before!
firefox_2023-01-03_22-52-11.jpg
firefox_2023-01-03_22-52-26.jpg
firefox_2023-01-03_22-52-34.jpg
firefox_2023-01-03_22-52-46.jpg
firefox_2023-01-03_22-52-55.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks, cicada. The 2000 CS is an acquired taste, but one that I quite enjoy. If I was to buy another coupe it would be the 2000. The styling analysis is interesting, although I disagree with some of it. Again, there is no accounting for taste.

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, cicada. The 2000 CS is an acquired taste, but one that I quite enjoy. If I was to buy another coupe it would be the 2000. The styling analysis is interesting, although I disagree with some of it. Again, there is no accounting for taste.
I really like the 2000CS with two-tone paint jobs and a bumper delete. The door cards of the 2000 were nicer, but that's because the USDOT banned hard door pockets (hence also why the 280SL has weird bags compared to the 230SL). I think the 2000 is much 'cooler' and more futuristic, in a Jetsonian sort of way. I almost feel it should be rotary-powered, too. Hmmm. Imagine a 2000CS with a removable hardtop, too.
BMW-2000-CS-1600x900.jpg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I like the way the above 2000cs has been subtly changed A LOT! The no bumper, US headlights, wheels/tires/stance....combined with the smaller size, it's like a more nimble, more athletic E9.

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I like the way the above 2000cs has been subtly changed A LOT! The no bumper, US headlights, wheels/tires/stance....combined with the smaller size, it's like a more nimble, more athletic E9.
IMO, one of the few cars where US headlights improve the look.
These cars demand a really good restomod. And I guess they're still kinda-sorta cheap enough to do that. This one is pretty rad: https://www.retromodcars.com/features/bmw-2000-cs But it has modifications that are more in-period. I'm confident so much more could be done. I picture something almost like a BMW version of a Citroen DS. I'd keep the really cool stock wheel these had, as well as those big disc-like wheels. An air dam that ties into beefier wheel arches would help soften the front end. And it would definitely need some rad paint job. Basically just like the BMW 2002 Turbo, or even the M1 Procar. I like the shiny frisbee-like wheels on these. The Maserati Bora came with some that are similar. Hmm.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting, I believe the Euro headlights are the best part of the look of that front end. But then I've always despised the US-mandated sealed beam headlights so it's hard to put aside that bias.
The European headlights looked like this on these cars...

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 5.05.32 PM.png

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A '67 2000CS was my first BMW... love the Braun shaver front fascia, ESPECIALLY with Euro headlights! Had two, plus a 2000C parts car.

Binder1_Page_35 (2).jpg

When the E30 M3 came out, the fantasy of installing an S14 drivetrain festered in my tiny brain. Still think a 2.0CSL would be cool as hell.

20230118_091725 (2).jpg

Please disregard the other oddball stuff on my corkboard... although I do wish I had produced a full-size Lyndon LaRouche poster. He was hilarious.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
A '67 2000CS was my first BMW... love the Braun shaver front fascia, ESPECIALLY with Euro headlights! Had two, plus a 2000C parts car.

View attachment 155771

When the E30 M3 came out, the fantasy of installing an S14 drivetrain festered in my tiny brain. Still think a 2.0CSL would be cool as hell.

View attachment 155769

Please disregard the other oddball stuff on my corkboard... although I do wish I had produced a full-size Lyndon LaRouche poster. He was hilarious.
More nukes, less kooks...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps the article above will clear up any chatter about e3’s and e9’s having white batteries. Also the CSL as seen below (coming from the guy who bought a white CSL battery). I challenge someone to post a B&W factory pic of a e3/e9 with a white battery. ;)

AFF64F83-530B-45DC-87B0-0B1D07DBD8FE.jpeg

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score

These cars are so underestimated in comparison to E9.

2000cs was the model I have seen for the first time on one of the classic cars tours, many years before I've met with E9 in real and that was (and still is) the car no one can go without an opinion. That time front made me focused at.

It is a pity they are currently a source of parts to other models (E9, 2002...). Several E110 shells or project cars are currently for sale in EU. Most of them are only chassis in decent condition (in comparison to E9s which are being resurrected). Probably it is because pure market research as renovation cost is similar to E9s but the market value is significantly lower with not visible demand.

Interior is one of its kind, on the - at least - one level up to E9 where it looks like not really finished (center tunnel section for example).

I like E9 style a lot but it is hard to see 2000c/cs waiting for scrapping.

Maybe they need to disappear to be properly located on the classic scene?

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
2000CS just needs to be treated as its own thing, a cool and quirky car, something between an E9 and an 02 -- really more like the predecessor of the E30, and if I had more than just a carport, you bet I would find one of these to fool around on. Russ's idea of a 2.0CSL is perfection.