sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not much- its the track and aggressive cams that suffer

BMW3.0CSi

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, I triggered a discussion :p. Thx for all reactions. Already interesting to see the discussion about what the actual ratio should be for a CSi. If I look in my blue book it should be 9.5:1. See pic attached.

I didn’t saw it at first sight, but the book mentions indeed 4 table line items from below that everything above 156psi is good. It counts for all types of engine/types. Below 142psi is poor. I have a standard cam and used a simple/cheap compression tester for 30 euro which is new, but of course not a professional tool.

But I see various answers to my question, from consistent numbers is good enough to way too low. Point is that my engine is not running smooth at lower idle speed. Tending to perform a smoke test also to check for potential leaks.

Attachments

• E62012D2-D310-43B9-9A2E-649B30653553.jpeg
    E62012D2-D310-43B9-9A2E-649B30653553.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 102

gazzol

Reaction score
With all due respect to the members the only person who answered the O/Ps question based on the facts (and therefore with any degree of intelligence) was Gransin. Spouting conversion charts and ratios is ALL IRRELEVANT unless we know that the guage is good. So all we can hope for is 6 similar numbers. I would normally interject a anecdote here but I'm in hospital with Pneumonia, hence Mr grouchy ass

Flanman49

Reaction score
Hi all,

I did a compression test today with my CSi. According to the blue books the compression ratio should be 9.5:1. Would be 9:5x14.7=139.65PSI as a reference if I’m correct.

The value I measured today were between 115-125PSI. Prior before testing i let the car run in idle mode from cold start for 10min. After that I took all 6 spark plugs out and tested them one by one, with full throttle open.
Values look pretty consequent for all 6, but are quit a bit of the reference value if I’m correct?
Would like to hear your opinion on this, thx!
How long did it take to do 6 cylinders?
I’m having it done in am at car I’m buying
73 cs

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You can do a compression check on CS in an hour. Once set up, all you are doing is screwing a gauge into each spark plug hole and cranking for a few seconds. As noted, consistent low readings could be a number of things not related to the actual compression. To take out those variables, a leak down test could confirm for each cylinder if and where compression is being lost. See this link on the difference. I had both tests done for my PPI.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
When doing a compression test I would cut off the supply of gas to the engine temporarily . Too many cranks can possibly pour too much gas into the cylinders, flooding the engine, and wash off the walls of the cylinders from oil. This can both distort your readings as well as potentially damage your engine from lack of adequate lubrication. My two cents