Concours level CSL restored by Korman, for sale by Canepa...

tightbox

Reaction score
Although not perfect, it IS pretty stunning in person! Saw it about 3 weeks back during their monthly Cars & Coffee event. They are also doing an in-house resto.

IMG_4499.jpg IMG_4490.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Although not perfect, it IS pretty stunning in person! Saw it about 3 weeks back during their monthly Cars & Coffee event. They are also doing an in-house resto.

Fortunately most of the stuff discussed is cheap and easy to rectify. The hardest being the dash perhaps, and that is also a 'solved problem'. I have to wonder if the aluminum bits are present.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agree, could be a very nice car but the mixed details should make one want to dig deep to see what's been done... Most likely a city pack car that has been dressed up to look like an early lightweight - sort a. As Markos points out, would like to know how much aluminum is present on this one?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

View attachment 48463 View attachment 48464

The pic with the Nardi wheel, is that before the in house resto took place? Looks like the correct black lightweight Csl carpet in there which is now replaced by the new blue carpet?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fortunately most of the stuff discussed is cheap and easy to rectify

Which includes the Csl Petri and the 5 hole rims as opposed to the woodwork? Let alone all the other inaccuracies.

tightbox

Reaction score
The pic with the Nardi wheel, is that before the in house resto took place? Looks like the correct black lightweight Csl carpet in there which is now replaced by the new blue carpet?

The second picture is a different e9 that is undergoing an in-house rest0.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Re: map of Crete on wood dash..I think that something bled into the crack of the top coat, and shows dark from one angle, and reflects the "air" under the crack on the other angle. I like the "relatively cheap" note. I reckon if you crawl under there and remove the dash yourself, and then strip and refinish the wood (to match the other wood pieces, which is "relatively easy") yourself. Refinished, doesn't mean completed...If I hadn't have rescued my Polaris car from Ray when I did, he'd own my house. And no it still isn't done, because I'm, drumroll please, "relatively frugal". Don't have to be poor to be "rf", but it can be a contributing symptom, currently or historically.

soxrus

Reaction score
"FRONT and Rear" Fiberglass bumpers ??

A lot of these CSL's are being "Restored" now because of the value ... "Greed Works"

It looks to be a city package CSL (big give away is rear deck lid support mechanisms) even those with tool kits should have a prop rod minus that over engineered hold up

For the life of me why would anybody restore a "LIGHTWEIGHT" car and add undercoating ... jeez !!!

I've ranted enough ...

Ray Korman is also another reason to think twice !!

Be Safe All, Jimmy

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
"FRONT and Rear" Fiberglass bumpers ??

A lot of these CSL's are being "Restored" now because of the value ... "Greed Works"

It looks to be a city package CSL (big give away is rear deck lid support mechanisms) even those with tool kits should have a prop rod minus that over engineered hold up

For the life of me why would anybody restore a "LIGHTWEIGHT" car and add undercoating ... jeez !!!

I've ranted enough ...

Ray Korman is also another reason to think twice !!

Be Safe All, Jimmy

You know a lot more about CSLs than I do, but I do feel as though there is a lot of variability in what defines a "city pack" car. My own car is a city pack, yet has no provision for an inside hood release. Even when the car was totally stripped and rotisserie restored (not by Korman), there was no passage way for the cable. My car has hood pins, manual steering rack, and fixed rear windows, all apparently factory. But it was born with steel doors for sure. I have seen other LHD "lightweights" with power rear windows from new.

Some have said BMW has the build details but won't share them, while others have said they do not have info.

Anyway, would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Scott

scottd

Reaction score
I wonder if someone tried to repair the wood in the dash at some point by applying some sort of glue, which bled out from the repair? It appears right along the crack.

Scott

soxrus

Reaction score
City Package CSL's have a "Myth" all their own and almost all of them are derived from steel doors and Chrome bumpers.

From what I know, Steel doors are "random" and not always a part of the "City Package" ... I own the only CSL ever sold new in the US and it has the cut outs for a steel front bumper (because the owner requested it as he took delivery in Europe and drove the car there for 2-3 weeks before returning it to BMW for shipment to the US ... this CSL was then fitted with Chrome bumpers and shipped to West Virginia ... Mr. Payne brought the rear fiberglass bumper home in his luggage and replaced it and removed the chrome Front and Rear bumpers after the CSL was "Inspected" for title in West Virginia ... that inspection is a whole other story ;-). Mr. Henry Payne bought the CSL 100% for its lightweight properties but BMW catered to his knowledge the car would need Steel (Chrome) bumpers to be titled in the US, even with his connections.

I have seen and owned Steel door CSL's with Alloy door hinges and alloy rocker panels (yes those are out there).

ALL carb CSL's I've ever seen or looked at in person had ALL the lightweight pieces including Alloy headlight inspection/service covers ... never seen a "City Package" carb CSL.

2285 CSL's are much more prone to be City Package cars than 2275 CSL's IMHO !!!

We all tend to think about BMW as a large multi-national Corporation now and forget that in the 70's BMW would do almost anything to sell A CAR ... any CAR ... much less a car they wanted to get homologated to race in.

Never say never with regards to a CSL or any old BMW for that matter ...

Be Safe All, Jimmy

soxrus

Reaction score
Thanks, but there are many that know more than I ...

I mention a couple, in other posts ...

I was and am a student of these rare and beautiful cars ... but only a student !!

Before modern electronics and the performance they afford modern engines ... weight (or lack of) was the cheapest horsepower available ...

BMW was a pioneer in this area !!

Be Safe All, Jimmy