Conversion of Automatic to 4 o4 5 Speed

bubukitty

Reaction score
Hi. I am looking to buy a nice coupe...hopefully one with a 4 speed that came as standard. I used to own a nice Polaris '73 Coupe a number of years ago and in the market for another Coupe. I have seen a few nice automatic coupes on the market now and then and wondering how difficult and expensive a conversion might be to a manual. I prefer doing the shifting myself. Also, any leads on a nice Coupe for sale would be appreciated. Thanks!

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The conversion from Auto to 4 or 5 spd is not a hard one and is very common. I think moving straight to a 5 spd would make more economic sense. You should be able to find people on the forum that have either documented the conversion or willing to share their experiences.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Figure around $3K for a shop to do it including the 5 speed trans. Where are you located, how much are you looking to spend, what condition? Adding a location to your profile would be nice, should we call you bubu for short?

:)

G-Man

Reaction score
You need a good donor car, something like this one (80 528i 5 speed). http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/1915599660.html Having a donor car will drop the price down a lot but then you have to dispose of the car after you remove all the parts. The seller of this 528i never registered this car non-op (last registered in 2005) so the DMV will want a boatload of back fees when the buyer in CA applies for a junk title. If you live out of state, back fees don't apply. Great parts car for an out of state buyer. Keep searching Craigslist for a cheap 80-81 E12, E23, E24 with a 5 speed.

G-Man

bubukitty

Reaction score
Chris, thanks for your reply. I live in San Ramon, CA in the S.F. Bay Area. Looking for a coupe in good condition already...not a resto candidate. Looking to spend up to $20k, maybe a little more for the right car. Looking for another Polaris coupe, or Fjord Blue and would consider other colors from there dependent on condition. BuBu or BBK would be fine....thanks! I will take a look at my profile. Just joined so need to get up to speed. Thanks you.