Convert Electric Front Window to Manual

brettsul

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone converted their front electric windows to manual? and how?
Or has anyone tried a SPAL electric motor kit instead of stock or E28 motors?
I've looked at the SPAL kit but since there is no manual 'winder' I'm not sure how it would work.
Any suggestions appreciated,
Brett

jmackro

Reaction score
The motors on the SPAL kit look a lot like e28 motors. Why adapt something like this when you can just bolt e28 motors to your existing regulators?
615q9kj9GIL._SL1000_.jpg
615q9kj9GIL._SL1000_.jpg

Wladek

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone converted their front electric windows to manual? and how?
Brett
You can convert to the manual without any problems (plug'n'play), doors have holes for both types of mechanisms, just need both sides of genuine manual mechanisms + 2x handles.
Then you just remove electric mechanism & mount manual one's.

brettsul

Reaction score
The motors on the SPAL kit look a lot like e28 motors. Why adapt something like this when you can just bolt e28 motors to your existing regulators?
615q9kj9GIL._SL1000_.jpg
615q9kj9GIL._SL1000_.jpg
Yes thats the kit I've got, I had one kicking around from another project, just wanted to see if I could make it work instead of buying E28's. Thanks.

jmackro

Reaction score
.....just wanted to see if I could make it work instead of buying E28's.

I suppose you could make your SPAL kit work, but you would have to begin by installing crank window regulators (as Wladek describes) and then converting those to electric using the SPAL kit. Seems to me that putting faster/stronger motors on your existing regulators would be simpler.

Lots of threads on e9coupe.com about installing e28 window motors. My favorite references are the pair of websites at https://sites.google.com/site/kdelimon/windowmotorconversion1 and https://sites.google.com/site/kdelimon/windowmotorconversion2 , as well as the thread I started about a year ago at: https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/a-few-tips-on-installing-e28-window-motors.27320

Last edited:

brettsul

Reaction score
Thanks for the links.
I decided to pull apart the window motor gearbox and the white gear inside is thoroughly worn. I'm surprised it moved the window at all. The Motor itself is working well connected directly to a battery, and less powerful when wired in normally via interior switch. Could need a relay to help it out and I've seen posts on that front. Has anyone successfully 3D printed the white gear inside the gearbox? In the meantime I'll keep an eye out for E28 motors as all 4 of my windows are well dodgy.

jmackro

Reaction score
In the meantime I'll keep an eye out for E28 motors as all 4 of my windows are well dodgy.

Contact e9 board member Harry Malkasian, who goes by "Koopman". Harry regularly finds and re-sells e28 motors. I have gotten two from him.

Has anyone successfully 3D printed the white gear inside the gearbox?

This thread seems to deal with that topic. While I am impressed with tony.dreamer's work, and how well he has documented it, it seems like a lot of effort just to fix a suboptimal motor-trans. In my opinion, substituting e28 motor-trans. is much simpler and produces a better outcome.

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/3d-printed-plastic-gear-for-window-regulator-transmissio.25907

brettsul

Reaction score
Contact e9 board member Harry Malkasian, who goes by "Koopman". Harry regularly finds and re-sells e28 motors. I have gotten two from him.

This thread seems to deal with that topic. While I am impressed with tony.dreamer's work, and how well he has documented it, it seems like a lot of effort just to fix a suboptimal motor-trans. In my opinion, substituting e28 motor-trans. is much simpler and produces a better outcome.

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/3d-printed-plastic-gear-for-window-regulator-transmissio.25907
Thanks Jay.

coupelady

Reaction score
I have read with great interest these postings as I see myself (or more likely a professional) giving the window mechanisms a bit of R & R this winter as they probably need-at least a cleaning and lubrication. It has been 26 years since I have seen inside the door panel and all that entails. Having said that, if I switched to the e28 motor, that would eliminate the need for the white plastic regulator transmission? I feel certain that is a no brainer but hoping to have lots of knowledge before getting into the windows. And with the cleaning, new motors and such, the rear windows would roll all the way into the body of Das Coupe?

jmackro

Reaction score
if I switched to the e28 motor, that would eliminate the need for the white plastic regulator transmission?

Yes. The e28 "motor" is actually an integrated motor & gearbox.
And with the cleaning, new motors and such, the rear windows would roll all the way into the body of Das Coupe?

Correction: apparently they can be adjusted to fully lower. New motors may make them go up/down faster, but won't change their range.

Last edited:

coupelady

Reaction score
I have seen other coupe pictures and cars at events where the windows in the rear seem to disappear. I am like you, I didn't think that was possible.