Converting from feet to meters...

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Got this euro cluster a while back so I decided to install it. Now I don't worry how far off my speedo is because I have no idea...

IMG_1126.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Got this euro cluster a while back so I decided to install it. Now I don't worry how far off my speedo is because I have no idea...

View attachment 126071

Did you adjust the odometer? I am switching to a euro cluster also but I will need to roll the odometer forward or back to get to my odometer. My current odometer just rolled over (probably 20 years ago), so it
could be a chore that requires sending it in.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I have a gps speedo so the mechanical speedo just fills a hole and looks cool. It's like Spinal Tap - it goes to 11...
It's off by about 10% - in the car 80kph = 55 mph, 100kph = 69mph.
My odometer hasn't worked in 15 years. My insurance guy always wants to know what my odometer reads and he always gets the same number.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a gps speedo so the mechanical speedo just fills a hole and looks cool. It's like Spinal Tap - it goes to 11...
It's off by about 10% - in the car 80kph = 55 mph, 100kph = 69mph.
My odometer hasn't worked in 15 years. My insurance guy always wants to know what my odometer reads and he always gets the same num

Hi Mike
LOL!
Do you have details on the GPS speedo? Thinking of converting from mechanical speedo...

Cheers,
Bill

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Hi Mike
LOL!
Do you have details on the GPS speedo? Thinking of converting from mechanical speedo...

Cheers,
Bill
The one I have had for several years is a GS-820 made in Taiwan. It's a heads-up type meant to project to a reflective surface. It sits on top of my steering column and I read it by the reflection off the instrument cluster. It's really easy to read and coincidently it is next to my turn signal lamp, allowing me to see when when I've locked my turn signal on for 8 miles on the freeway It came with a cigarette lighter plug so I adapted one of those to power it. I would imagine that there are better models of GPS speedos available today

Attachments

• gpsdisplay.JPG
    gpsdisplay.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 100
  • GPS820.jpg
    GPS820.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 93

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
HI

It looks like the speedo drive gear #7 sits behind the output shaft seal #6 and kept tight by the flange and collar nut. Can the speedo drive gear be accessed/installed by removing the output shaft seal or do the transmissions have the speedo drive gear even though the speedo cable port is plugged?

THX
Bill

Snip20210925_6.png

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It has been reported that the gear is there sometimes, you won’t know until you open it up. Don will know if removing the output gives access to the gear.

zinnocoupe

Reaction score
I can say from personal experience that sometimes the internal gear may be already inside the transmission and its just a matter of drilling out the plug and installing the speedo drive. Or alternately you can remove the seal and pry out the driveshaft yoke and spacer and install the speedo gear and smaller spacer. The two seals in the speedo drive are replaceable ( pt no. 4 and 2 ). Pt no. 2 a little tricky to get to. The drive, gear and spacers can be harvested from an unused 4 speed. Not sure if they are available from BMW.
Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 8.02.17 AM.png

zinnocoupe

Reaction score
Did you adjust the odometer? I am switching to a euro cluster also but I will need to roll the odometer forward or back to get to my odometer. My current odometer just rolled over (probably 20 years ago), so it
could be a chore that requires sending it in.
Mark, Im not sure I understand what you are saying here? You mean the euro odometer has come to 99,999 and has stopped working? Shouldn't it just continue counting? IE: goes back to zero and starts again.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mark, Im not sure I understand what you are saying here? You mean the euro odometer has come to 99,999 and has stopped working? Shouldn't it just continue counting? IE: goes back to zero and starts again.

I’m talking about swapping clusters and ensuring that the mileage on your replacement cluster matches the original (regardless of whether converting to miles/km).

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I’m talking about swapping clusters and ensuring that the mileage on your replacement cluster matches the original (regardless of whether converting to miles/km).
My odometer hasn't worked in 15 years so I have no idea what the mileage on the chassis is.