Cooling system

pamp

Reaction score
Tearing the front of the car apart due to numerous "weepers" Check out these pic's. I will make no further comment as I seek open minded opinions.

Attachments

• 100_2022.jpg
    100_2022.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 100_2024.jpg
    100_2024.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 229

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If in doubt , throw it out. I think that is what the Amish do.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wow I've never seen an alternator fan style as a waterpump and that many holes drilled into a thermostat - one is enough.

Last edited:

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Why would you drill a hole in the thermostat?

Regards, Alberto

Aside from what Steve said, it is also a way to avoid having to pay for a new thermostat. You can drill holes in it to "bypass" the thing if it is stuck shut. This can work a bit better than just removing it completely as it still forces the coolant in the engine itself (rather than the rest of the loop) to warm faster, improving cold operation. It was also a cheap way to try and reduce the temperature of the coolant at operating temperature as it increases the allowed flow through the thermostat.

C

Chamonix_E9

I vote the non-alternator style waterpump as best, that alternator style looks sub-par and a lot less efficient. It does looks as if very good coolant was used, no corrosion at all. Bit nasty green but that's probably a good thing! :D

Thermostat is a no-brainer - replace with a new one, this is ridiculous and it'll take much longer to warm up than needed. If it doesn't work the normal way and overheats, then there is an other problem such as a bad rad or head and you'll need to fix that.

pamp

Reaction score
Lessons learned

I am in the process of cooling system upgrades. Radiator has now been cooked cleaned and flow tested. Had to make a trip out west and crew a boat at the last minute, so was very busy when I ordered parts, no time to stare at the fiches. Recommended was a screw type pump and fan clutch to match. These I ordered from AutohausAZ to 1989 E34 spec. as this is the engine I have been scavenging parts from. Parts arrived very quickly. Examination revealed a "SNAFU" and the nameless bastard would be me. E28 stuff is four bolt for the clutch. E34 is a three bolt pattern and will require an 11 blade fan specific. I will make an assumption that a 9 blade would fit if I had ordered for 1988 E28. Rats.
I looked at what others said regarding thermostats after examining the parts you see in the photos. The housing that I am using is an "A" My measure showed 8 mm gap. Cooked the new thermostat and the over all length grew to that number, so good to go. It also became obvious that my scrap motor had the wrong thermostat. Possibly what lead to its demise and ended up in the scrap dumpster.
Also, there was some talk about "over-clocking" the pulley, or smaller O.D. I have two pulleys that are 144 mm. One will fit the newer style pump and the other to the bolt on style. These will not interchange. Now I look for the 130 mm pulley that was post 9/89.
Any suggestions?
The "swiss cheese" thermostat is a bit of a hoot, lightened for full race! Might as well have run with no thermostat at all. This was in the car from the PO. I do not know what to say as to the water pump. Cheap aftermarket? Tough call as to which design will move more coolant.

Last edited: