Cooling - What to do?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes living in Ireland you won't need one, in my climate i wanted everything possible.

If you cant get the one for our cars listed in Realoem then i believe an e12 one works.

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmm, so the fan shroud is shrouded in mystery!

Gone are the days my dad took me to the Bronx, row of shops that each purposely had a different car-related expertise to refer to and not compete with each other. Radiator guy would clean,test, re-solder and paint for 30 bucks.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Ian, I had my radiator rebuilt with new cores and live in Sydney where it gets a bit warmer than Dublin, I didn't bother refitting the fan shroud as it's just such a faff around, my cars temp gauge never comes above 1/3 of the way up even in summer traffic although I also have a twin electric fan in front of the radiator which kicks in when needed.

Cheers. John

Ian_fegan

Reaction score
Ian, I had my radiator rebuilt with new cores and live in Sydney where it gets a bit warmer than Dublin, I didn't bother refitting the fan shroud as it's just such a faff around, my cars temp gauge never comes above 1/3 of the way up even in summer traffic although I also have a twin electric fan in front of the radiator which kicks in when needed.

Cheers. John
Hi John, I'm not so concerned about the shroud to be honest, it was other contributors who took that conversation up really. Car has survived thus far without one. It's a pretty big rad and the cores will be upgraded so I am not expecting cooling issues, and particularly not in Dublin. We would classify 27 degrees celsius (80f) as a heatwave here.... :)

Ian_fegan

Reaction score

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That makes no sense, theyre probably reading from old microfiche data or something. There aren't different radiator part numbers for cs vs csi are there?

lloyd

Reaction score
OK, so I have changed my mind and now plan to go with an aluminium radiator from the US. Problem now is that two guys selling aluminium rads on EBay (zpeedstarz and dnamotoring) with E9 referenced in the description are both telling me that these rads won't work in a 3.0 CSi . They are not offering alternatives or any explanation as to why it would not work. Baffled! Any advice? ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232177047...24469d3eaf7&bu=43080115656&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu )

I agree with Steve[starz].

The problem may be that the vendors think the car is an automatic and the pictured radiator may or may not accommodate automatic transmission connections as found on the original equipment radiator. (The Zpeedstarz description does not seem to reference automatic transmission cooling.) It is also a possibility that the vendors information does not list a "csi" and they are not interested in having to worry about a return, the cost of shipping and a negative review. This is probably why the ad says:
Professional Installation is Highly Recommended Installation Instruction is NOT Included

I do see two bolts or bung plugs. However, it is unclear (to me) that these are to receive transmission cooling lines or that the radiator has some internal plumbing for them. Otherwise, an E9 is an E9, regardless of fuel delivery.

I also think that if the radiator is exactly as pictured, you may have to do some slight modification to insure permanent fitment in a coupe. I don't immediately recognize the right side mounting tang (or hook). However, the slim plate running horizontally at the top of the radiator seems to have holes that would secure the radiator to the forward bulkhead. Otherwise, if I am not mistaken, the bottom of the tank is actually cradled in rubber. Frankly, there are any number of ways to secure a radiator, so I do not see that as a deal breaker. The one thing that might be critical for most coupes is the radiator fore and aft thickness. I have never been too comfortable with how close the mechanical fan is to the radiator. On one occasion, I had a 3.0 radiator re-cored at a radiator shop. When reinstalled, the top of the unit protruded too far toward the fan, so that there was obvious interference. Fortunately, I had the car at the shop and they realized their error. They had to desolder and reposition the core to make things work.

Lastly, if one size fits all of the models listed, where are the mounts or supports for any shroud as used in the later models?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Best of luck.

Last edited:

lloyd

Reaction score
Those bungs are for the temp sensor on 74 and later cars to activate condenser fan.

Good point.
I was thinking very old school, . . . When E9s were steam driven, well before the invention of sensors and freon. :p