Coupe for sale on "jameslist.com"

Shawn

Reaction score
I went there to view it actually a few months ago. Asking price was $75,000.

jbrucebmw

Reaction score
I also inspected this car. Its odd because the parts and mechanicals look very nice but the trim, paint and body work is a low standard for the asking price. There were numerous tape lines, fish eyes and poor paint preparation / application. It makes you wonder how solid the metal work is underneath. I was really stunned that someone would put so much work into the mechanicals and rest of the car with paint like that. They had it sitting in a dark corner of the showroom for a good reason. Maybe someone who appreciates it from 10 ft or buys based on photos will snap it up. It would be a really nice car with a repaint. If it was priced with room to strip it down and repaint and do new trim, I would be on it.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
A good alternative to this black car would be Tony's old

... coupe. See the newer post, "Anyone Know This Car." Tony's car was really nice. There were a lot of very nice, professionally done upgrades rather than the usual short cuts. Example, a full MM rebuilt engine rather than a 100k mile engine swap out of a later 535i. The paint when I saw it was better than 95% of the "restored" E9's and 2002's I've seen. If the new seller in California properly sorted out the body issues, this is the kind of resto-mod E9 to buy. Sure, it's not up to the level that you'd get from an VSR full on restoration, but it wasn't priced that way when Tony sold it.

John

jbrucebmw

Reaction score
I still have to question why someone would ever skimp on paint prep work? I would not even do that for a $10k 3 series project. When you see dust, dirt and fish eyes in paint it means someone could not even take the time to properly wipe down the car before shooting it. Why? Why? Why? I agree, the quality of paint work on many E9s and 2002s in the U.S. is quite poor compared to similarly priced classic Porsche, Mercedes, American cars or even insurance work on new cars. This is quite evident when you walk around a show like the Legends of the Autobahn and compare marques. Its sad for the marque and unfortunate that the culture of restoration around these cars is not yet demanding higher standards.