couple of questions

psychrunner

Reaction score
Wow! I went to check out my e9 at the restoration shop in PA. I am very impressed. Even got to drive it for a few minutes. They had a mufler shop install a stainless exhaust system from engine to rear with th exception of the three pipes coming from the engine. They did away with the front muffler and center resonator and put a resonator just in front of a magna flow muffler in rear. Anyhow, IT IS LOUD! Actually too loud for my taste. I am going to have them calm it down. Any suggestions on how to do this? Would simply changing the magna flow muffler in rear to more of a stock muffler do the trick?
Thanks
Randy

mandala

Reaction score
Yes just changing the magnaflow will make a difference. Alot of people put on magnaflows on Honda's and Nissans to make it sound like they have a monster "tuner" engines. They are cheap and LOUD! Changing them will probably really make it quieter.

Jeff in PDX

Honolulu

Reaction score
waitaminnit

THREE pipes coming from the engine? Wassup wi'dat? Stock is 3-2-1... are you saying they siamesed pairs of header pipes to make 6-3-1?

psychrunner

Reaction score
yes I did

Honolulu,
Yep, I did indeed have them install a 6-3-1 configuration. Maybe that it is why it is a bit louder?? Naa, just kidding, I meant to say "two pipes" not three. Anyhow, now we added a third muffler/resonator toward the front and kept the magnaflow. I do notice on Coupeking's site that he uses a magnaflow muffler in rear also, so maybe what I have is okay? Still sounds a bit loud though.
Randy

coupeking

Reaction score
...Resonator...

You should install a resonator on the long center section of straight pipe. That will calm the sound a bit and smooth it out a fair amount. Use a longish resonator, 24-36" or so, and you should get the sound you like.
Peter

psychrunner

Reaction score
Peter,
Thanks for the response. From my recollection (the car is 300 miles away presently at the resto shop) what we have is something similar to what you describe. We have what I remember to be a 24"ish front resonator/muffler (actually more towards the front center) then a 10"ish resonator just before the 6" (in diameter - I think) magnaflow. How does this configuration sound to you? Maybe I'm expecting it to sound more like my e39 540 (used to have). To what other BMW (modern day?) would you compare the sound you get with your set up? I was thinking of just ordering the stock rear muffler and being done with it.
Thanks
Randy

coupeking

Reaction score
Muffler

Randy-
If you already have the twin resonators you will need to try a different rear muffler can. Magnaflow tends to be loud, but there are other options you can use in stainless. Tell the shop you want a quieter sound and they can try a different rear can.
It is actually quite a trick to tune the sound of a muffler system, and one I have spent a lot of time on. Am still on the steep slope of that learning curve.
My first systems could sound like a low flying P51 Mustang in the right circumstance, and nothing like the modern E39. My new muffler systems are going to be a bit more subtle and offer some options.
ps/ck

psychrunner

Reaction score
Thanks again Peter
I think I'll get the car here and drive it a bit and see if it grows on me. If I need to tone it down I'll take it to a local shop and see what they can do.
Randy