cowl panel cuts - original?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a question for the experts. I noticed on my cowl panels (or front side panels on either side of the radiator support), they are crudely notched where the fender / lower valance pinch weld comes together. I suspected that this is not original, and evidence of work on this area in the past. Heck, you can see where a tin snips overlapped at the point. :oops: Here are the L and R sides.
20201203-stripped L.jpg
20201203-stripped R.jpg

But today I met with a mechanic friend who is working on a 1972 3.0CS. Since I was supplying parts for this car, I decided it was okay if I used it as a reference point. SIDE BAR: not sure if the new owner of this car is on the forum? Apparently this car was owned by Elijah Wood before coming to Wisconsin.
20201203-EWs 72 30-1.jpg

20201203-EWs 72 30-2.jpg

Anyway, in looking at the same locations on this car, the same crude cuts are evident. So my question is, is this stock/original? Do your cars have this same cut? L and R shown here:
20201203-72 example L.jpg
20201203-72 example R.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmm, Walloth and Neesch reproduction does not have this cut. Their parts are usually quite good, but not perfect.

Indeed a NOS panel pic would be good, or pics from a few members.
Yes, I saw that the repro parts don't show this. It seems like something that is done for relieve during assembly or replacement. I agree - WE NEED SOME PHOTOS OF MEMBER CARS in this are - presumed original cars ideally. This area is very easy to get to - just in front of the front wheel (presuming you don't have Lokari's).

day66

Reaction score
Mine's the same as yours and the green car.

Here's the left hand side, the other side is the same, though I don't have such a clear photo.

there's nothing to suggest it didn't leave the factory this way..
SDC13749 - Copy.JPG

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
there's nothing to suggest it didn't leave the factory this way..
Thank you for the pic. I really do think this may have been an original assembly/fitment procedure at the factory. This is 3 and 0 in support if it. But more pics are welcome...