CS REGISTER(Y) Badges and Logo

RogerW

Reaction score
Having spent the time to go over the forum, I would like to submit the following. In the earyl 1990's when my good friend Charlie Richardson ran the CS REGISTER, we (Charlie and I) took on the formidable task of getting the BMW CS REGISTER recognized by the International Council BMW Clubs. Charlie ask me to do it, and we took quite an extensive poll of members and came up with the design. This design was submitted up through BMW NA and BMW AG and the International Council. It was quite a process, and we ultimately obtained approval from the International Council of BMW Clubs for an "Official Logo" and club. The Logo drawing was submitted by one of the club members, contained within one of the specific designs approved by the International Council, and voted on by CS REGISTER members, then approved by everyone up the chain all the way to BMW AG and the International Council of BMW clubs.

At some point after I turned over the CS REGISTER, it was changed from the "CS REGISTER" to the "CS REGISTERY", but it was never changed with the International Council. There were very specific guidelines on how we obtained the logo, and also specific blessing from BMW AG as to the use of the Roundel, and our blessing to do so.

It has always bothered me somewhat that the logo was changed - and most importantly - does not have official blessing. I know that there is some plans to reproduce the grill badge (I still have an original CS REGISTER one), and I think that as a group, we should think about reverting back to the original CS REGISTER name and logo. It was, and still is blessed by the International Council, and the CS REGISTERY is not to my knowledge. Many people do not know this, and it may seem trivial, but none the less, it goes back to our history. Please let me know your thoughts, and I will be glad to provide any history on this.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Roger,

I for one would love to see this happen. Although we have access to much of the CS Register data we are still a discussion group called e9coupe.com. We have never discussed embracing the CS Register as a brand or name for our site. Is it still truly recognized by BMW and the International Council? We should also be recognized in the Roundel, I have even asked Satch Carlson about this. I would be willing to help make this a reality.

Chris

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Roger,

I am the keeper of the original printer proofs of all the CS Register(ry) newsletters. I had a coupe from '85-'87 and was a member and enthusiastic owner even at the age of 23. I bought my second coupe 2 years ago - couldn't get the first one off the brain I guess. I scanned and posted the newsletters here:

https://docs.google.com/?tab=3o&aut...zZDllYWEtNzE1ZS00MjZmLTkzNjAtZDZlMDNiMWY3ZTRh

Anything I can do to help with past documents or moving forward I am happy to help as well. Cheers,

Steve Armstrong

RogerW

Reaction score
Can you post a picture of both logo's?

I do not have the original one on this computer, but can work to find it. Our floors all had to be replaced due to a break in the water line from the refrigerator, so everything is still stacked up, but I should be able to get it in the next couple of weeks. It took me almost 18 months of official correspondence with BMW NA, BMW AG, and the International Council to get it approved. It was approved as: "BMW CS REGISTER". The design, shape, and logo requirements were very specific to be officially blessed by BMW as BMW and the Roundel BMW logo are trademarks. Shortly afterwards, our official logo was placed on the board of all approved Special Interest Group Logos within the International Council in the factory in Munich. I used to have a picture of it posted, but don't know if I can find it.

I also have all the original CS REGISTER newsletters from the very beginning - There was a person who started the CS REGISTER before Charlie Richardson, (his name eludes me at this time) and I have those original newsletters, then all of Charlie's. I followed Charlie and have all my originals, then passed the REGISTER on to Wayne and Amy Lister, who then passed it on to Art and Marilyn. The printed newsletter seemed to pass away as the electronic medium came about, but all the old ones have a lot of information.

Since I was the one who did all the work in getting the CS REGISTER officially recognized, I would be happy to see what I can to to make sure it is still recognized - it still should be. We (The CS REGISTER) were one of the official SIGs in the Roundel back then.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The first caretaker of the Register was Reid Pepin. It changed from the Register to the Registry in the Fall of 1998 when Art and Marilyn took over. I will look for logos when I get back from traveling.

61porsche

Reaction score
Is this logo

the same as the artwork of the E9 register window sticker? I have one that still on the car and a spare.

RogerW

Reaction score
the same as the artwork of the E9 register window sticker? I have one that still on the car and a spare.

Yes if it was the one we made in the early-mid 90's - that is the officially recognized Logo.

Thanks for refreshing my memory on Reid. Do you have his original newsletters? I still do and can provide a copy if needed.