CS WHEELS

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Upon closer inspection, those are factory e12/e23 wheels. They look similar but never came on an e9.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pretty nice condition. Same wheels on my E12 that was towed away for scrap. I didn't think they were worth anything.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Option on an E3.

Again these are e12/23 wheels. They did not come on an e3 or e9. These are often referred to as turbines. The spokes and center section is different than the ‘74 CS and optional E3 wheels.

I can post some pics later if you would like me to highlight the differences. :)

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Again these are e12/23 wheels. They did not come on an e3 or e9. These are often referred to as turbines. The spokes and center section is different than the ‘74 CS and optional E3 wheels.

I can post some pics later if you would like me to highlight the differences. :)
Marcos ,
I would like to know the difference! I see 20 spokes , are the number of spokes the only difference?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Turbine wheels have extra ”edges” on the spokes, and the center looks a bit different, see pic:

2F62A986-7878-4234-B921-12858D6D3D74.jpeg

Compared to e3/e9 FPS wheels:

5175EBE9-FCF9-46D9-A3C3-C27387698025.jpeg

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
And, I’d say the difference between the wheels are more noticeable in reality than in photos. The correct wheels are much more elegant IMO.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Edit: Compelling evidence has surfaced to support a conclusion that these did in fact come on late model e3’s, and realoem is indeed correct. With that said, an equal amount of evidence supports that realoem in incorrect on certain part-to-vehicle associations.

Markos, Real OEM has ...........................so I remain confused.

Superseded by:
(02/04/1977 — ), Exchangeable retrospectively
Supersedes:
(05/25/1976 — 10/13/1981)
Part 36111119533 was found on the following vehicles:

I'm not sure what to say about that one other than the fact that realOEM is consistently wrong with backward/forward compatability. For instance, the wheels in question were manufactured long after the 2500 ended. With that said given the overlap between the Bavaria and the 5 Series, I suppose it is possible that BMW threw turbines on a few BMW's. RealOEM is still wrong though...

The alpina-like FPS wheels that came on the '74 CS are part number: 36111113085

Here is a brochure ad of a '74+ Bavaria with the 36111113085 wheels...

Ignore the “CSL only” kidney, that is a whole different conspiracy theory...
fb4c30fa30246fbdbaad3ec7f033089b.jpg

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don’t ever trust the dates in RealOEM. It will fit is all that is guaranteed. And since they were introduced in May 1976 and the last Si was built in July I don’t think they ever came on an e3 either.

albatcha

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing up and old thread, but I'm looking for information and found this page, and in case anyone else like me also is looking for information and finds this I thought I should add:

I think they did come on the e3, they are on my 3.0si which was the second to last vin for the US market made July 76 with 76 dates stamped on the wheel and printed on the original spare tire.

It's more likely that it's original to this car than that someone specifically found a set of wheels made in 1976 when they could have found one made any other year.

Also all models except the 3.3Li manual, 3.0L automatic, and 3.3L both transmissions were produced until 1977 in Europe. So there were 2500 sedans made in 1977 after they began production of this wheel, so realoem information is not definitely wrong like Markos suggested, it could be correct. Also the part number listed says it started in February 1976, not May as HB Chris said.

Also I don't know as much about e3 and e9 as I do about 2002s, but what I know from 2002s is that BMW at the time had a tendency to use parts as they were available and to use up old stock, so some cars would come with something that the experts would tell you is not correct for that model and year. I doubt BMW would have FPS manufacturing two 20 spoke wheels in the exact same diameter width bolt pattern and offset with only a slight visual difference both at the same time.

I'm not saying I know the definite answer, but I am saying that from what I have seen, I don't think that the people who said it definitely wasn't available on e3 know it for sure either.

Once again sorry for reviving such an old thread, especially a classified ad.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to say about that one other than the fact that realOEM is consistently wrong with backward/forward compatability. For instance, the wheels in question were manufactured long after the 2500 ended. With that said given the overlap between the Bavaria and the 5 Series, I suppose it is possible that BMW threw turbines on a few BMW's. RealOEM is still wrong though...

The alpina-like FPS wheels that came on the '74 CS are part number: 36111113085

Here is a brochure ad of a '74+ Bavaria with the 36111113085 wheels...

Ignore the “CSL only” kidney, that is a whole different conspiracy theory...
View attachment 37310

OK, so not only is that an absolutely bad-a$$ e3 (I'm thinking 3.0si with 4-speed) but reading the ad requires the intelligence most millennial college graduates would not possess. I mean they are explaining the philosophy of a proper automobile, could you see someone doing that today; it would be equivalent to drawing the anatomy of a Beluga whale on the back of a box of Captain Crunch so our kids could learn something about mammalian ocean life.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@albatcha,

Thanks for contributing and clarifying. I think that your logic makes sense. You are using real parts tied to a real car, with real date stamps. I will certainly modify my stance on the subject. I won’t modify my stance that the revised wheels are much uglier than their streamlined predecessors. ;)

Agreed on your inventory liquidation comment. I think it accounts for some of the oddities we have seen, like the aforementioned five bar black grille.

I’ll edit my post above to flag folks to continue reading, all posts.

Sorry for bringing up and old thread, but I'm looking for information and found this page, and in case anyone else like me also is looking for information and finds this I thought I should add:

I think they did come on the e3, they are on my 3.0si which was the second to last vin for the US market made July 76 with 76 dates stamped on the wheel and printed on the original spare tire.

It's more likely that it's original to this car than that someone specifically found a set of wheels made in 1976 when they could have found one made any other year.

Also all models except the 3.3Li manual, 3.0L automatic, and 3.3L both transmissions were produced until 1977 in Europe. So there were 2500 sedans made in 1977 after they began production of this wheel, so realoem information is not definitely wrong like Markos suggested, it could be correct. Also the part number listed says it started in February 1976, not May as HB Chris said.

Also I don't know as much about e3 and e9 as I do about 2002s, but what I know from 2002s is that BMW at the time had a tendency to use parts as they were available and to use up old stock, so some cars would come with something that the experts would tell you is not correct for that model and year. I doubt BMW would have FPS manufacturing two 20 spoke wheels in the exact same diameter width bolt pattern and offset with only a slight visual difference both at the same time.

I'm not saying I know the definite answer, but I am saying that from what I have seen, I don't think that the people who said it definitely wasn't available on e3 know it for sure either.

Once again sorry for reviving such an old thread, especially a classified ad.