CSi Differences/Changes over the years?

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
hi all.

Just wondering if there are any resources that detail the differences over the years of the CSi.

Or did the car essentially remain the same from 71 to 74?

Also where can I find out what was available on the base model car. i.e. did all cars have electric windows, power steering etc?

Thanks, Michael.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
No responses…so let me be more specific:

1.Did all CSi's come with:

1. Power steering?
2. ABS
3. Electric windows?

What else was standard?

2. What were the Factory Options?

1. Factory Sunroof?
2. Alloy Wheels?

Anything else that was optional?

3. Were there any detailing changes over the years?

4. Were there any mechanical changes over the years? Different brakes, injection system, suspension or did it remain the same through out the years?

5. Is there anything that make one CSi more desirable over another?

I know these are basic questions, but I'm trying to learn as much about the model as possible.

Thanks, M.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Michael,
Your questions are multifold with far too many answers to be answered in a short text.

1. Power steering? Yes for Csi‘s/ except the 2.5CS (was an extra order)
2. ABS No
3. Electric windows? Optional/ again model specific......

What else was standard? Too many to list......

1. Factory Sunroof? Yes
2. Alloy Wheels? Standard

Anything else that was optional? Plenty to list off hand.......

3. Were there any detailing changes over the years? Yes, far too many to list

4. Were there any mechanical changes over the years? Different brakes, injection system, suspension or did it remain the same through out the years? Depending on model there were some changes.......

5. Is there anything that make one CSi more desirable over another? The extras ordered by buyer.......

Maybe if you ask a specific question you’ll get an answer, generalizing is too time and answers intensive.

Regards
Keshav

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Michael,
Your questions are multifold with far too many answers to be answered in a short text.

1. Power steering? Yes for Csi‘s/ except the 2.5CS (was an extra order)
2. ABS No
3. Electric windows? Optional/ again model specific......

What else was standard? Too many to list......

1. Factory Sunroof? Yes
2. Alloy Wheels? Standard

Anything else that was optional? Plenty to list off hand.......

3. Were there any detailing changes over the years? Yes, far too many to list

4. Were there any mechanical changes over the years? Different brakes, injection system, suspension or did it remain the same through out the years? Depending on model there were some changes.......

5. Is there anything that make one CSi more desirable over another? The extras ordered by buyer.......

Maybe if you ask a specific question you’ll get an answer, generalizing is too time and answers intensive.

Regards
Keshav

Thank @Keshav, really appreciate the reply.

I'm just trying to get a general idea of the changes etc. I'll ask some specific questions when I have a better idea what specifics I'm after :) I come from the Porsche world where this (356 Porsche: A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity) was our bible and detailed everything. So as a result I find my lack of knowledge frustrating.

But as I said, I appreciate the reply.

Regards, Michael

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score

restoring and maintaining a 50 year old car i found the less options a buyer ordered , the better it is now
Manual windows in my red coupe work perfect.... not the case with the electric ones in the blue.
Happy none have AC …

a view from another angle ….. :)

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Michael,
Yes, Porsche and MB had/ have a very detailed ‘data card’ on each specific vehicle. BMW never had any such specific knowledge regarding the individual E9 (can’t say they did much more for their older model cars either, but not for the E9).

You’d be best advised to use the search function and look for brochures about the E9’s which will show all the models and possible extras. This forum offers the best and most detailed knowledge worldwide, way more than BMW itself.
If you have any specific questions regarding your own car, you’ll get straight answers.
Regards

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
Michael, What is absolutely crucial here is you telling the forum which series CSi you are dealing with. Upon this depends whether yours is an early model (Concessionaires conversion from LHD to RHD ) or whether it is a 435**** series 2. I am assuming that you are talking about a RHD car. Please tell us this and anything else which might assist - VIN, for example. Best wishes, John

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Were there really that many options available on a '75 Csi?

Leather(not even in the catalogue in Europe, special request only)
Sunroof
AC
Metallic Paint
Front electrical windows
Differential
Heat protected windows
Security front windshield
Fog lights
Head lamp washers
petrol cap with key.

That was the list for a '75, the pre pre '73 list was even shorter. Anything else would have been (BMW)after market .

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
i think our friend Michael is still looking to buy a csi… so a bit early for a VIN :)

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/hello-from-london.30715/#post-248964

Yes you're absolutely right. I am currently looking for a RHD car (not a project) and just trying to get up to speed with the differences etc.

When I start to see cars, I want to some fore knowledge of what to look for etc. I don't want to be thinking a car is completely un-original when in fact it just didn't have the option etc.

Ultimately you guys are my best resource for knowledge and I appreciated any info you can give me.

damienh

Reaction score
Hi Michael. I'm also in London and have a CSi. It's worth checking the VIN when you find a car to view as mentioned above, my car was registered new in the UK in 1975, and the reg reflects that, but I found out recently from BMW that it's actually a 1973 car.

Something important to look out for is whether the car has a sunroof. If it has, there is a design flaw in the sunroof drain which has resulted in most sunroof cars needing serious work around the sills. This is the big stuff, have the sills been repaired properly, and has the drain improved. Anything else could be easily changed after. Plenty of info on the forum.

I had some bits on a car I owned previously which aren't mentioned on the list above - electric door mirrors, electric aerial, map reading light, and vinyl roof which was fitted by the UK dealers.

Cheers,

Damien

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Michael. I'm also in London and have a CSi. It's worth checking the VIN when you find a car to view as mentioned above, my car was registered new in the UK in 1975, and the reg reflects that, but I found out recently from BMW that it's actually a 1973 car.

Something important to look out for is whether the car has a sunroof. If it has, there is a design flaw in the sunroof drain which has resulted in most sunroof cars needing serious work around the sills. This is the big stuff, have the sills been repaired properly, and has the drain improved. Anything else could be easily changed after. Plenty of info on the forum.

I had some bits on a car I owned previously which aren't mentioned on the list above - electric door mirrors, electric aerial, map reading light, and vinyl roof which was fitted by the UK dealers.

Cheers,

Damien

Damien, thanks for that. All good advice and good to know. I live down in South East London (Greenwich). Are there any meet ups that you know around this way? Are you local to me by any chance?

damienh

Reaction score
Hi Michael, I'm not too far, I'm in Sydenham. No meet ups I know of. Cheers, Damien

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Michael, I'm not too far, I'm in Sydenham. No meet ups I know of. Cheers, Damien

Hey Damien, wow very close in fact. Would it be cheeky to ask to come and see your car at some time? Would love to ask you some questions. If yes, then DM me and maybe we could arrange something.

Thanks, Michael

damienh

Reaction score
Sure, any time. I'm trying to sort out some damage at the moment caused by a DPD driver, then I'll be away for a couple of weeks but keep in touch, I'm usually around.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
So let me ask some other questions.

Good Original car OR restored car?

Original worn interior OR retrimmed?

Original colour OR re-sprayed (in BMW 70s colour)

I guess I’m asking whether values are affected things like the above.