CSI for sale in Southern Cal.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
A buddy of mine (a big 02 guy) and I looked at this car a couple of months ago. A perfect example of that no matter how good the pictures look, you have to see it in person.

A guy had two e9s on ebay in our relatively small city just south of Portland Oregon. Since both of us thought we knew all of the older BMWs around we had to go look at them. Over the phone the owner discribed both cars as imaculate. When we got there, both cars were parked outside and it had just rained.

The 2800cs he had for sale was a disaster; black paint was not the orignal color (chipping off to some sort of red), homemade door panels, the list goes on... The only real positive, the factory alloys were perfect with new caps.

I was more interested in the csi. It looked great in the pictures, the description listed a fresh 7K paint job, and again described as imaculate. From a few feet away it looked great, but it quickly fell apart. The 7k was more likely spent on bodywork because it looked like it had been wrecked in the front. If look closely at the pictures, there is a lot of filler or some thing in the inner fenders. The rear might have been repaired too, because every piece of chrome was brand new, these items were beautiful but they didn't match the rest of the brightwork on the car. I also noticed rust starting to pop in a couple of spots. The interior was pretty decent, but the gages were not metric. Also, the front turn indicator covers were not the euro style. It seemed to run ok.

He sold it on ebay for a little over 12K to this cllassics dealer. It looks like the dealer had the front seats redone and then relisted it.

This guy is trying to have a side business selling old BMWs and I think he's in way over his head. He really doesn't know much about the cars, which is really evident once you start asking questions. He has two or three for sale right now, one is a white 74 tii listed on ebay.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
A buddy of mine (a big 02 guy) and I looked at this car a couple of months ago. A perfect example of that no matter how good the pictures look, you have to see it in person.

A guy had two e9s on ebay in our relatively small city just south of Portland Oregon. Since both of us thought we knew all of the older BMWs around we had to go look at them. Over the phone the owner discribed both cars as imaculate. When we got there, both cars were parked outside and it had just rained.

The 2800cs he had for sale was a disaster; black paint was not the orignal color (chipping off to some sort of red), homemade door panels, the list goes on... The only real positive, the factory alloys were perfect with new caps.

I was more interested in the csi. It looked great in the pictures, the description listed a fresh 7K paint job, and again described as imaculate. From a few feet away it looked great, but it quickly fell apart. The 7k was more likely spent on bodywork because it looked like it had been wrecked in the front. If look closely at the pictures, there is a lot of filler or some thing in the inner fenders. The rear might have been repaired too, because every piece of chrome was brand new, these items were beautiful but they didn't match the rest of the brightwork on the car. I also noticed rust starting to pop in a couple of spots. The interior was pretty decent, but the gages were not metric. Also, the front turn indicator covers were not the euro style. It seemed to run ok.

He sold it on ebay for a little over 12K to this cllassics dealer. It looks like the dealer had the front seats redone and then relisted it.

This guy is trying to have a side business selling old BMWs and I think he's in way over his head. He really doesn't know much about the cars, which is really evident once you start asking questions. He has two or three for sale right now, one is a white 74 tii listed on ebay.

acat2002

Reaction score
vince said:
This guy is trying to have a side business selling old BMWs and I think he's in way over his head.

I don't know about a side business, but he's got a few other time-bombs in the inventory. Check out this salvage-title special: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbayBeta

Typical flipper.

Regarding the year of the car....although it is possible that most of the parts came from earlier models (seat cover style, bumpers etc), I thought most '74 cars had a VIN starting with "4"?
If he's got salvage title cars in the inventory, it could be a red flag for something more sinister like title washing. I'm always the cynic in the group, but just do your homework on this one.

acat2002

Reaction score
vince said:
This guy is trying to have a side business selling old BMWs and I think he's in way over his head.

I don't know about a side business, but he's got a few other time-bombs in the inventory. Check out this salvage-title special: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbayBeta

Typical flipper.

Regarding the year of the car....although it is possible that most of the parts came from earlier models (seat cover style, bumpers etc), I thought most '74 cars had a VIN starting with "4"?
If he's got salvage title cars in the inventory, it could be a red flag for something more sinister like title washing. I'm always the cynic in the group, but just do your homework on this one.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Hi!

Just some clarifications:

CSi 7/1971-10/1973: VIN range 226 0001-226 6506 (6506 cars incl. 2 aut.)

CSi 10/1973-11/1975: VIN range 434 0001-434 1429 (1429 cars)

CSI RHD 12/1973-12/1975 VIN range: 435 0001-435 0207 (207 cars)

Normally 1974-1975 CS/CSi have seats with horizontal pattern and 6x14 turbin rims.

Cheers

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Hi!

Just some clarifications:

CSi 7/1971-10/1973: VIN range 226 0001-226 6506 (6506 cars incl. 2 aut.)

CSi 10/1973-11/1975: VIN range 434 0001-434 1429 (1429 cars)

CSI RHD 12/1973-12/1975 VIN range: 435 0001-435 0207 (207 cars)

Normally 1974-1975 CS/CSi have seats with horizontal pattern and 6x14 turbin rims.

Cheers

CSL 1973

Reaction score
In addition:

All CS/CSis produced late 1973, 1974 and 1975 should have text instead of symbols close to the heather controls etc.

Cheers

CSL 1973

Reaction score
In addition:

All CS/CSis produced late 1973, 1974 and 1975 should have text instead of symbols close to the heather controls etc.

Cheers

D-jetronic

Reaction score
just to help !
maybe with production numbers !
on my files E9 csi production in 1973 : 2446 units -average 230/month
E9 csi production in 1972 : 2999 units -average 250/month
my car is :csi early april 1973 VIN 2264207.
Difference with 2261501 : 2706 units.
If you consider 706 units in 1973 (january to early april at 73 rate /month),this makes 2000 chassis for 1972,making this car 8 monthes earlier in the year 1972 at the 72 rate/month.

i.e april 1972 .

Of course production per month may vary in a year, but this car cannot be a '74. Even made in the late monthes of 73.(mod 7031 from 10/73)
maybe some one may have more accurate numbers ?.
sincere greetings from France
chris

2210910 '71 CS
2264207 '73 CSi

D-jetronic

Reaction score
just to help !
maybe with production numbers !
on my files E9 csi production in 1973 : 2446 units -average 230/month
E9 csi production in 1972 : 2999 units -average 250/month
my car is :csi early april 1973 VIN 2264207.
Difference with 2261501 : 2706 units.
If you consider 706 units in 1973 (january to early april at 73 rate /month),this makes 2000 chassis for 1972,making this car 8 monthes earlier in the year 1972 at the 72 rate/month.

i.e april 1972 .

Of course production per month may vary in a year, but this car cannot be a '74. Even made in the late monthes of 73.(mod 7031 from 10/73)
maybe some one may have more accurate numbers ?.
sincere greetings from France
chris

2210910 '71 CS
2264207 '73 CSi

SHIMBIMMER

Reaction score
It's back...

I'm not sure how I missed this - but the car discussed in this thread is my coupe!

Much of the debate and point of view on the car was accurate. This is my first coupe and it has been an INCREDIBLE learning experience. I can say that over the course of the last year I've been beyond fortunate to get to know Terry Conners who has, for the last three months, turned this car into one hell of a machine for me.

To start - the car is #1501 out of 6506(?) built. VIN# 2261501. It was registered as a 74 but in fact is a 1972. Having never owned one before and only knowing the layperson trouble spots for the car - I bought it pretty much on site. Although the warning signs were very obvious to me (dealer, dealer, dealer) I moved quickly given a) I wanted a stock CSi, b) the color combination was what I wanted, c) the nasty trouble signs of rust were not present on the car and d) I wanted a project I could drive every day. And I did.

When I dropped the car off to Terry before traveling Europe for the last three months it (to me) was in decent shape. Having never driven an E9 prior to owning mine I had nothing to really compare it to. My GOD was I wrong. The car was in desperate need of a tremendous amount of attention. Terry went through the car tip to tail and given his experience was able to quickly pinpoint some very obvious needs of the car. A LOT of the engine compartment was original - in fact I would say most. Having been royally SCREWED by a mechanic in LA who had NO IDEA how to tune the car and blatant oversight of OBVIOUS needs (not expensive needs) of the car - I was beyond thrilled to have Terry begin this process.

I'll not steal his thunder and hope that he chimes in to help explain what we've done to the car over the last few months - but I will tease you with this picture. Again - this is just the first pass through the car. I'm not intending to take it to metal and restore it from the ground up. Quite frankly - it doesn't need it for my purposes. The car now drives as nice as it looks. Now living in SF - it's lucky to have Terry just down the peninsula.

Cheers,
Michael

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 189