"CSI" in Wisconsin NOT A CSI...

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
ebay has a blue CSI 71 with a non CSI VIN. Owner was warned him that this was not a CSI. I also emailed him that a better representation would be to list it as a CS with a d jetronic and 5 speed upgrade. Any thoughts on this?
edit..Boy the more I look at that car the more I think its a CSI....d jetronic, rear fog light,...yet wrong VIN
and antenna right front instead of drivers rear. Could the owner be right?
abe

Last edited:

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think it is that really big of an issue. If the conversion was done with original oem parts and done correctly, then I don't have any problem calling this coupe a "CSi". If one is a stickler to originality, then this may become an issue. Other than the fuel injection parts, the different fuel tank and an additional fuel return line, there is nothing else to differentiate a CS from an CSi.

The last time I checked, a nice CSi is "not" worth any more or held in higher esteem than a nice CS.

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My carbed euro coupe was converted to injection 10 years ago. I have a CSi badge on the trunk. If I was to sell the car, oh the horror, I would explain the swap up front. As Bert35CSi says, the complete injection system from tank to air filter is the ONLY difference.

Steve ONeill

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I disagree...I love swaps and mods, but when you're selling you have the call the car what it is.

Do stripes and spoilers make a CSL?

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Anyone in WI or upper midwest have a look at this coupe, or know about it? I'm interested in a driver and don't care about correctness.....but we all know e9s require an in person inspection...anyone want to go look for a fee?
Jeff

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went up to see this car the last time he had it on Ebay in early August for, IIRC, $14,500K. I've uploaded some hi res photos I took to Picasa and can be viewed here: http://picasaweb.google.com/citroen...?authkey=Gv1sRgCOKnktz59NHrPw&feat=directlink

When I saw it I didn't go all-out looking for rust under the wheel wells or under the rockers. I drove it for about 15 minutes up to about 60-65 MPH and I thought it drove well and pulled strong without any weirdness in the ride or engine performance. Started right up but he had started it at least once sometime before I got there. My frame of mind when I drove it was not super critical since I had already decided that it wasn't the car for me. All the issues he lays out are indeed there and I found no others, except the absence of a toolkit. I think that it would be a nice driver for maybe $6-7K, IMHO.

The car is about 1:45 from me but I'd be happy to help any way I can.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
It did sell. It indicates "winning bid". It was a no reserve auction starting at 8,500

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Boy I am sure getting confused about E9 pricing. I have been monitoring this board for several months and can't seem to understand how condition and authenticity effect pricing. This was a car with a questionable pedigree and sold for what I consider strong money. :confused:

David

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Boy I am sure getting confused about E9 pricing. I have been monitoring this board for several months and can't seem to understand how condition and authenticity effect pricing. This was a car with a questionable pedigree and sold for what I consider strong money. :confused:

David
Consider these observations:
There aren't very many sales
Buyers often aren't very knowledgeable
E9s are especially bad candidates to buy sight unseen
Authenticity was not very important until relatively recently
For that matter, there is not a big knowledge base of authenticity, unlike for say Porsches or Mercedes

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Consider these observations:
There aren't very many sales
Buyers often aren't very knowledgeable
E9s are especially bad candidates to buy sight unseen
Authenticity was not very important until relatively recently
For that matter, there is not a big knowledge base of authenticity, unlike for say Porsches or Mercedes

Thank you for the insight. I am not looking to steal anyone's car but to make an informed purchase. I am sure there is more to learn?

Regards, David

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
David,

I looked at the ad quite carefully and passed on the car, perhaps for other reasons than it's authenticity. I did not bother to post as you all seemed fixated on that one issue.

PM me for my other opinions of same and that may assist you in your future
purchase.... Bill is quite correct but you are also wise to be patient and careful here.

Cheers!

Ran

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ran, why not share your opinions here so we can all benefit...? I want to know!:-D

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Because when I do share my 'opinions' it just gets politically complicated?
...but because you like Citroen (wagons?) I will give you this much!

I just don't want another Fjord paintjob to maintain..the paint is very beautiful but so difficult to maintain, expensive to spray and basically one cannot fend off the shopping carts of the world anymore...the base for Fjord is impossible to repair and looks worse the more it is attempted.

Blue cars in general are so common nowadays and there are so many nice dark colors...but that's just my opinion...The blue one in Wisconsin went for a fair price for what it was...The black one last week that went for $8400 was a far better deal...both ebay cars but that's not the place to find a great one.

I am still looking Ceylon (as below) Colorado etc. are personal favorites...crazy maybe but how does this look?

Ceylon.jpg

Ran

Last edited:

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
My only piece of advice is buy the best non rusted car you can buy and if you can its always best to buy restored than doing it yourself. Pay for the inspection and DO NOT BELIEVE IT when the tell you its a rust free car even if the person is a long time member on this site. Buyer beware....do your homework, do it well and you should be fine.
abe