CSL badge question (Again)

corsachili

Reaction score
I need assistance from a willing CSL owner who has a decklid without a the rubber spoiler on it. What I'm trying to do is confirm the location of the 3.0 CSL badge that goes on the decklid.

I am fairly certain that the "3.0" portion is the same for all models. I believe that the . in 3.0 is centered over the vertical chrome separator on the tail light, and that the CS portion of the badge is also the same. The "i" or "L" are merely added on. To confirm this I need to know how far from the right edge of the decklid the "L" is.

I have an unmolested CSi decklid which I can use for a template, but when I line up my badges on it, the L comes very close to the right edge of the decklid. If anyone can give me a rough estimate of the distance (in mm or inches) I'd be extremely appreciative.

I am trying to find photos of CSL decklids to make sure the location is correct, and in the Art Simmonds restoration story in Bimmer a year ago there is a clear picture of that car's badge, with the L close to the right side as mentioned.

Please, if you are a CSL owner, I could use your help. I've had an extremely hard time getting the badge location correct and my decklid's non-original holes have been welded closed so that we can get the location perfect this time.

Thanks in advance for the help!

TJ

corsachili

Reaction score
Thanks Tom...............I figured as much. This is a bit confusing though. If you've seen Doug Van Dorsten's car you may remember that the CSL portion comes all the way to within millimeters of the decklid. Of course individual preferences may have come in to the equation, but I would have expected Art would have installed the badge in the original location. Further, I still believe that 3.0 portion of the badge is the same on all 3 liter cars, and that the rest of the badge is added on. I'm having a hard time explaining myself, but the CSi decklid I have does not support this statement. In any event, I'll go with the original location (that was on my decklid too).