CSL Batmobile 2nd series for sale

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi all,
This 2nd series Bat is for sale in the UK. Restored in Portugal is what I’m told. Not many pics to justify the asking price. What I saw at first glimpse is the wrong kidney grill and what looks like a foam Petri steering wheel.
The asking price is £ 449,995 which equates to € 526,000 or USD 616,000
Excellent info provided by Lezebre.eu

Enjoy

Keshav

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dealer has several CSLs for sale. Also a very nice IROC 911 clone. To bad its RHD...

Looks like the seller is looking to capitalize on the special VIN range /Batmobile status as the other CSLs don't look wildly mispriced (at quick pass). I'm not sure about the market but I'd rather have a lightweight that's actually a lightweight without the A/C, radio and other comfort accoutrement.

@Keshav - there's a customer for your 4 ring hub and a real leather CSL Petri right there.. ;-)

giannicsl

Reaction score
Dear friends,
good Keshav is always right ...
also in this sale we have the presumed perfection of the csL world ...
Oh well...
what to say ?
here we go again....
we are in the total paradox.
as in the 2 inka versions with carburettors (one Italian),
for sale at over 350.00 thousand euros.
machines to completely disassemble and start a serious restoration.
with the right parts and spare parts.
the world of collecting is made up of details, sometimes no longer existing ....
you cannot put the rear windows on a light frame at the perspex seat ....
this is just a small example ...
if you ask for 560 thousand euros
committed to putting the details in the right order .... kidney with 5 BLACK strips and right petri dish no wwgen.
and that's just the beginning .... hello

merlin32

Reaction score
6 Words. The market will make the price.
If you are a lucky owner from a 250 GTO Ferrari, i think you dont care about any details. If someone offer me a original 250 GTO ,colour or something will not change my buying decision.
In the past, ca 2000er years ,the Last CSL 435557 was sold on Mobile.de under 100k Euros. ( Keshav will know the exactly dates, im sure) BMW Classic buyed the car.
Wy any one here not buyed the car? To expensive..... blablabla...
So, nobody whine the price will soon go high.
Greets Markus, and special greets to Keshav :)

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In the past, ca 2000er years ,the Last CSL 435557 was sold on Mobile.de under 100k Euros
Infact, sold for 100K€.
19DAEC12-4A23-498F-BCFE-1B42F99269ED.jpeg
I did ‘bite my self’ for not grasping the situation then. I also saw the restoration being done in Wiesbaden.

merlin32

Reaction score
Thanks, Keshav,
And the Batmobild BMW owned befrore, was sold after in Dubai i think for a lot of Money more . ;) Wrong colour and and and and...
Thanks Keshav for check your data . :)
Greets Markus

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, Keshav,
And the Batmobild BMW owned befrore, was sold after in Dubai i think for a lot of Money more . ;) Wrong colour and and and and...
Thanks Keshav for check your data . :)
Greets Markus
The Dubai car was sold for $218k US dollars I believe and yes, many details also not correct with that car, wrong wheels, wrong spoiler, not original color etc................ If I remember correctly, chassis 4355046 ...........this chassis 4355046 was recently for sale again in Australia, for something about $485k US dollars equivalent, claiming also the best in the world, (funny how they make this claim, without seeing every other Batmobile) I believe 4355046 has already sold

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
@BMW Pete
4355022 is surely the heaviest E9 CS(L) ever built with all the comfort amenities possible plus big wing! Not to mention the asking price.
I only just read the advert properly. Air con, electric windows - wow. I hadn’t realised these were an option on Batmobile models (the earlier ones with the City Pack I knew about).

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I only just read the advert properly. Air con, electric windows - wow. I hadn’t realised these were an option on Batmobile models (the earlier ones with the City Pack I knew about).

Along with Power steering and standard coupe carpets to add to the comfort list. But what takes the cake is that the seller outfit doesn’t have a model specific expert to insure they have their i’s dotted and t’s crossed before asking for astronomical prices which should reflect a (near) perfect car without obvious flaws even if minor and relatively easily rectified. Same applies to their Inka carb CSL.

giannicsl

Reaction score
Insieme al servosterzo e ai tappetini da coupé standard da aggiungere alla lista dei comfort. Ma quello che prende la torta è che l'outfit del venditore non ha un esperto specifico del modello per assicurarsi che abbiano la i puntata e la t incrociata prima di chiedere prezzi astronomici che dovrebbero riflettere un'auto (quasi) perfetta senza difetti evidenti anche se minori e relativamente facilmente rettificabile. Lo stesso vale per il loro Inka carb CSL.
bravo

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
@BMW Pete
4355022 is surely the heaviest E9 CS(L) ever built with all the comfort amenities possible plus big wing! Not to mention the asking price.
Keshav - completely agree. It was strange, the recent sale of the CSL on Bring a Trailer was also a very heavy car, even had headlight washer system, nothing wrong with having these "comforts", just makes it heavy for a CSL.

Thankfully my Bat has no creature comforts and the original owner insisted upon it being delivered that way. I am very lucky the previous owner did such good research back to the very beginning, meeting and discussing the car with the original owner and even contact with the original sales person.

I understand many people are now trying to "create" a lighter car in their restorations, which is of course fine as long as they don't try to say, that is how it left the factory.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Curious, but without a buildsheet, how does one know whether all those options were ordered on that CSL?

Especially AC and PW.
Provence, Provenance, Provence .........in a second series Batmobile you could have whatever you wanted, pink with green spots would have been acceptable, as BMW were desperate to sell these expensive cars. So if possible, you have to get back to the original owner or dealers records.

That said, most restorers in the last decade or so are prone to doing exactly the opposite on these Bats, so if it was restored in the last decade, making it a heavier car would not have made much sense (although people do some funny things) removing such things would.

Last edited:

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Keshav - completely agree. It was strange, the recent sale of the CSL on Bring a Trailer was also a very heavy car, even had headlight washer system, nothing wrong with having these "comforts", just makes it heavy for a CSL.

Thankfully my Bat has no creature comforts and the original owner insisted upon it being delivered that way. I am very lucky the previous owner did such good research back to the very beginning, meeting and discussing the car with the original owner and even contact with the original sales person.

I understand many people are now trying to "create" a lighter car in their restorations, which is of course fine as long as they don't try to say, that is how it left the factory.

Interesting observations Pete. At the risk of opening myself up for a kicking from purists it's all about disclosure for me. With my RHD 72 CSL restoration we tried to restore vs replace where we could to keep originality. That translated as seats with marks on them, pings in the chrome or alloy trim. I'm ok with that as the car was in a shed for almost 40 years.

Where I did depart from factory was I left the 'City Pack' modifications off the car. Instead we took an ethos of what would the car have looked like if it hadn't been messed with for the Limey's who had no idea what they were doing :) - we looked at 1972 LHD CSL's for guidance. We dropped the power steering, electric windows, chrome bumpers etc. Also went with lightweight carpet. I still have all the original Pack parts under my house and they will go with the car if I ever sell it.

I don't think this approach has somehow harmed the car or devalued it and it's all reversible. The difference here is I tell everybody what I've done and why.
Guess I could get into semantics and argue these changes are 'factory' as it's my understanding most of the Pack was frequently added once the cars arrived in the UK - but that's for another thread.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting observations Pete. At the risk of opening myself up for a kicking from purists it's all about disclosure for me. With my RHD 72 CSL restoration we tried to restore vs replace where we could to keep originality. That translated as seats with marks on them, pings in the chrome or alloy trim. I'm ok with that as the car was in a shed for almost 40 years.

Where I did depart from factory was I left the 'City Pack' modifications off the car. Instead we took an ethos of what would the car have looked like if it hadn't been messed with for the Limey's who had no idea what they were doing :) - we looked at 1972 LHD CSL's for guidance. We dropped the power steering, electric windows, chrome bumpers etc. Also went with lightweight carpet. I still have all the original Pack parts under my house and they will go with the car if I ever sell it.

I don't think this approach has somehow harmed the car or devalued it and it's all reversible. The difference here is I tell everybody what I've done and why.
Guess I could get into semantics and argue these changes are 'factory' as it's my understanding most of the Pack was frequently added once the cars arrived in the UK - but that's for another thread.
Absolutely not, your car you should do what you want Wes and your are saving a great car and being honest, cant ask for more than that mate.

I personally love originality, but I love the hobby more and it would be a pretty boring hobby if all were like me. As I like to say "if you love your car, then I love it with you" this hobby is about the people we meet, the passion etc, not any one persons idea of what should or should not be.

So I tip my hat to you sir, sounds like you are doing it correct in every way and enjoying a great CSL