CSL Batmobile restoration

RonP

Reaction score
Getting this car ready for Monterey 2012! Here she is getting some old paint removed.

CSLSTRIP070.jpg

RonP

Reaction score
No. The car has always been Polaris. From what I understand, all series one Bats (2275XXX the first 110 issue) were either Polaris or Chamonix

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That's only 4-1/2 months away..

Ron - you must have a dedicated team working on the car to get it ready so quickly. Are you also doing all the mechanicals and interior (looks like the dash is out)?

RonP

Reaction score
Yes, the motor was already rebuilt so we had a jump start on that end of things. Phil Slate is assembling the motor now complete and then he will dis-assemble it and we will send all of the parts out to be powder coated. He has the front and rear suspension out and ready to be shipped to the powder coater as well. The interior is completely out and all of the parts are ready to go back in now. It is a huge undertaking to orchestrate all of the loose ends while the car is out for paint and body!

RonP

Reaction score
Here is a complete photo album of the car:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v454/ronperry/CSL2275483/

The v.i.n. is #2275483. If you Google the vin, you will see what I saw....a lot of guys talking about the car when it was at Fantasy Junction back in 2001. It was then traded back in there in 2005 and re-sold to a guy that I know in Arizona. The day after he got the car, it was discovered that the car had a bad piston. The engine was pulled from the car and rebuilt and the car had been sitting ever since. The ironic thing about the cars existence is that no one discovered that it was numerically a Series 1 Batmobile (yes, including me) until we sent for a Zertificate from BMW!!! The car was originally delivered in Germany-hence no installed wing, hoop, and the rest of the Batmobile regalia. The guy I got the car from was extremely angry at ME because he sold the car based on it's condition and the fact that it was not discovered even by him that it was a Bat! He threatened to come after me as he thought that I knew it was, but has since settled down. I sold the car shortly after that and was commissioned to do a complete restoration of the car. There is your story!

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great story for you as buyer! Does she still have the 3.2 engine? Will be great to see you reatore her.

RonP

Reaction score
Yes! The original stamped 3.2 was saved!!! Thank you for the kind words. I am sending off the brightwork to be polished today. There are so many little nuances to getting this project finished in time. It is quite an undertaking.

RonP

Reaction score
Thanks, Yannick! The last owner was Peter Workum. The deadline is August 13th. I have a lot of work to do, but have done more in less time for this event. With the head start that I have now, hopefully there won't be and road blocks...but in this business you never know! At 2275xxx: That isn't the motor that came out of the car. By the time these photos were taken, the engine had already been rebuilt and the engine was in a sealed crate.

Last edited: