CSL Grill Chrome Plating

Marc-M

Reaction score
The front grill on my CSL was in shocking condition and the bright anodizing on it was tarnished and showing spots of oxidization.

Having had some of the outside aluminium trim re anodized, and not been too happy with the finish, my only option was to try and find new old stock.

After months of looking there are none, however one came up on eBay and went for over £400.00 and I was not prepared to pay that much.

So, I went down a different road – to get it chromed! – not an easy task

Although it was not the factory finish, it would be fine for the time being until I find one or BMW start manufacturing them again in the distant future.

I managed to find a company whom will plate aluminium, they take the anodising off (well what was left of it) and slowly coat the part with brass, this first process takes a day or so as it has to be put on slowly at low current levels.

Once its brass base, they polish it – Nicol plate it and then chrome plate it.

It did take quite a long time for them to do as they don’t like doing it! but the cost was a fraction of the one sold on eBay

I got it back yesterday and I am very impressed , even small nicks and dings have gone.

The grill is twice as heavy so not quite lightweight anyone, but the results are outstanding.
YREwlV9.jpg

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi, That chrome plating looks beautiful.
I can relate to your problem as I have also been searching for an authentic CSL grill for a while
However am just a bit curious as based on your photo yours seems to be a 4 bar grill and I am told all CSL came with 5 bar and the surround looks a bit thinner. Also as I know the 4 bar grill versions are still for sale from BMW (as my CSL has a 4 bar repo from BMW, lightweight material)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this looks quite shiny, but Mal is correct, this is a '74 CS grille with a black plastic 4 slats. somebody with a Bat 2 please verify that those models had a 5 slat all metal grille.

Marc-M

Reaction score
It’s the one that came with the car, but could be wrong – I believe all the UK city pack CSLs had the black slats, now I’m not 100% sure on how many they should have – 4 or 5? Would like to see some pictures of the 5 black slat ones if anyone has one.

If you look at my picture the black plastic has 5 slats but the outer one is a support and not seen, could this be the reason why folk say 5 slats??? Help on this please

Tried BMW and they don’t have stock – but may be different in Australia.

Regards

Marc

uX3mkRd.jpg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Marc,
All CSL's, including the UK ones had (and should have) the 'old style' 5 black slat kidney grill.
Write me a pm if you wish and I'll tell you of a few options on how you can achieve that goal.
As has been remarked above, that grill is definately not cheap nor easy to find, but we are talking CSL, which is a high value car, thus justifies the extra investment, IMHO.
For our CSLs we have to go the extra £,€,$ as opposed to our siblings who have more choices than one.
The one you have shown is the later model 4 black (plastic slats) grille, certainly not the correct one for a CSL, but if it's of any consolation, quite a few CSLs don't have the right 5 black anodized grill either. I didn't either for many a years and Bmw doesn't sell the 'right CSL grill' either since the mid 70's!

If you decide to install your newly chromed grill, your local paint shop can paint the black plastic slats for a perfect finish.
Keshav

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 167
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this looks quite shiny, but Mal is correct, this is a '74 CS grille with a black plastic 4 slats. somebody with a Bat 2 please verify that those models had a 5 slat all metal grille.

Scott, ALL CSL's came with the 5 black (anodized and not plastic slats) as in my pics above. Over the years they have been replaced with whatever was the 'cheapest available' options. Now with rising devotion towards our beauties, even the grill has got its importance in the big picture.

This grill topic, CSL vs Coupes, 5slat vs 4slat, has been discussed in detail not too long ago.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keshav, what did the CSi coupes get, polished or black slats?

Except for the CSL's, where all 4 series had the 5 black anodized slats grill, there was a mix of the 2, 5 slat grills. Starting with 5 silver slats for the 2800 and ending with the 5 silver or 5 black slats for CS and CSI till the update in 74 was completed, after which only the modern 4 black plastic slats became standard. No difference between the CS or CSI in this respect.
During the mish-mash when both, sliver and black 5 slat grills were installed on CS and CSI, I've heard it could also have been car color related. Like with a lot of minute details regarding our cars, there are no verifiable info's available today. No one could have ever imagined that one day the E9 will capture so many souls who will want every morsel of info, and more!

But you know that Chris. You are a walking encyclopedia on E9's.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
BAY AREA OWNERS
the absolute best plater and pricing is johnson plating in oakland cal.he did absolutely ever piece of brite work on my car
all i have to do is hit it with mothers and its gorgeous.
he repaired dings in my grille also
to factory condition

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Marc

Wonderful finish on your grille. I did pay the £400+ for the e-Bay item, as the part is currently unavailable!
I bought my RHD 'City Pack' CSL in original (corroded) condition in 1982. The original grille was like yours with 4 black plastic slats.

I think the earlier numbered RHD cars had bright anodised slats, whereas the later RHD cars had the grille with 4 black plastic slats.
I cannot comment on the configuration of the LHD models.

The 4 slat grille surround is also a little wider and chunkier and I prefer its look.
I believe your grille is probably original.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Marc

Wonderful finish on your grille. I did pay the £400+ for the e-Bay item, as the part is currently unavailable!
I bought my RHD 'City Pack' CSL in original (corroded) condition in 1982. The original grille was like yours with 4 black plastic slats.

I think the earlier numbered RHD cars had bright anodised slats, whereas the later RHD cars had the grille with 4 black plastic slats.

The 4 slat grille surround is also a little wider and chunkier and I prefer its look.

Hi Marco,

What year is your CSL? I don't think that we can officially discount the hypothesis that some '74+ CSL's came with a "chubby" grille. However, the CSL specific grille has its own part number. While it is possible that the factory made due with parts on hand, it seems unlikely given the MSRP on these cars.

It is an undisputable fact that the chubby grille didn't arrive until model year 1974. If your car isn't a '74+, the grille was without a doubt added in the nearly 10 years prior to our ownership.

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Markos
My car was registered in 1974 (4 January) but was manufactured in 1973.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Back in the day, e9 kidney grills were considered consumable items. They were relatively cheap @ $60-$70 well into mid 1990's. If the coupes were driven on even fairly regular basis, now or back then, these soft aluminum grills were going to get dinged, pitted, or dented up through road debris or parking mishaps. I've gone through at least 4 or 5 new grills (all silver) since the late 80's.

Marc-M

Reaction score
Hi Marc

Hi Marco

I was gutted when I did not get it on eBay, but hey ho…. You win some and loose some!

So, my car chassis number is 2285331 and was registered oct 1973 but was manufactured Dec 21 1972!

So, it was a stock item for over a year – I know they were dam expensive in the UK and cost was 3 times more than a jaguar, that could have been a reason why they did not sell – plus the 1970s in the uk were hard times with inflation reaching over 20% in 73 and oil price going up by 70% - wow – in these times you must have had to have a few pounds in your bank to afford a CSL …

So, I feel I must have a grill that was put on latter.

So, I’m now on the hunt for a 5-slat grill……

Now here is another question…. the side grills and the bonnet air intake on mine are chrome plated, the car was in the light blue when new – so did some come with chrome and some with black or are mine wrong?? I need new anyhow.

Regards

Marc