CSL interior/map reading lamp positioning

CSL 1973

Reaction score
As discussed previously, the CSL interior light position may vary. It think in most CSL cars, the light is positioned on the left or right hand side of the roof headliner. Some CSLs have the light placed front centre -close to the mirror - http://www.flickr.com/photos/sayther/5670690484/in/set-72157626485152233/ . Also some few CSL cars have no roof headliner interior light at all.

As regards the map reading light, I think four variations (so far) have been identified:

1. On the right A-pillar (on some carbs but not sure if this was a factory solution)

2. In the glove compartment (carbs)

3. On the dash (some 2275xxx cars)

4. No map reading light at all (later cars)

Most likely these variations were done by the factory during the production. In the CSL user's manual from 11/72, the map reading light is still in the glove compartment (but I think BMW used pictures from the carb). In the CSL user's manual from 9/73, the light is now on the dash.

The interesting question is how to learn about the reasoning behind these changes.

I can think about some logical reasons, to move the map reading light from the A-pillar to the glove compartment. But, how to explain the change from glove compartment to dash? Maybe the angle became more comfortabe from the dash. Also with the advantage to avoid having the glove compartment open.

Interesting to try to get into the mind of the responsible "CSL map reading light technician/developer/designer" of the 70s...

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
On both my carbs CSLs the rally map light is on the dash. Both cars missed the light when I bought them but both had the same identical holes on the dash.
You can also check the early CSL brochure and see the light push button on the dash of the carbs car.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Yes indeed, the carbs had both versions (glove compartment + dash). Also in the early CSL user's manual from Feb/1972, the map reading light is placed in the glove compartment.

Cheers

Henric

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Simple thinking, the A-pillar map light is the safest, prevents the driver from futzing around with maps while driving.
The glove box is the same idea, just hidden so it is not stolen by the parking valet.
After a divorce one uses the console map lamp, there is no passenger to read the map or to scream at the driver for reading while driving.