CSL Kidney finish

Propellerhead_tom

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am currently restoring CSL #080 LHD injected car produced Nov 72 sold Verona Italy Jan 73. I picked up the car from a known collector and it was completely disassembled. I have restored five e9s and am very familiar with most all the parts so I felt comfortable with the purchase and inventory of parts. The car was supplied with a silver 5 slat early kidney grill, I happen to also have a 5 slat black finish CSL grill that I had sourced in the 90s as a backup for another project CSL I restored then. I am at a bit of a loss in defining which kidney is correct and have been told and have witnessed conflicting information. There are factory brochures and photos of injected cars with both versions as well as "concourse" examples I have seen and even judged at Coupefest or BMW specific events over the years displaying both. I have been told by people I respect that paint color would often dictate grill finish. Light paints would get black slats and dark paints silver slats. Does anyone have any insight into this question. I personally like the look of the black slat better on my Fjord Blue, but if the Silver is correct I am inclined to lean toward originality. Let me know what you think?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am currently restoring CSL #080 LHD injected car produced Nov 72 sold Verona Italy Jan 73. I picked up the car from a known collector and it was completely disassembled. I have restored five e9s and am very familiar with most all the parts so I felt comfortable with the purchase and inventory of parts. The car was supplied with a silver 5 slat early kidney grill, I happen to also have a 5 slat black finish CSL grill that I had sourced in the 90s as a backup for another project CSL I restored then. I am at a bit of a loss in defining which kidney is correct and have been told and have witnessed conflicting information. There are factory brochures and photos of injected cars with both versions as well as "concourse" examples I have seen and even judged at Coupefest or BMW specific events over the years displaying both. I have been told by people I respect that paint color would often dictate grill finish. Light paints would get black slats and dark paints silver slats. Does anyone have any insight into this question. I personally like the look of the black slat better on my Fjord Blue, but if the Silver is correct I am inclined to lean toward originality. Let me know what you think?

I have been told by people I respect that paint color would often dictate grill finish. Light paints would get black slats and dark paints silver slats.

nooouuuu

ah respecting those people

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
All CSL’s from the very first to the very last had the 5 bar all-aluminum grill. The slats are anodized black.

1971:
90EDAEA1-7FC4-4366-A22C-C3A3DD256B21.jpeg

1974:
F2AD7628-81DB-4848-B1AF-33A53A2664A1.jpeg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In 74 the black five slat reappeared on the US e9s for some reason. All other US e9 and most euro e9 had silver other than CSL.