CSL Mirror

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does anyone know if '73 Euro CSLs had a flag mirror or the trapezoidal mirrors? My '73 CS has the trap mirror and I thought all '73 cars had them.
thanks
Chuck

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chuck,

Since your coupe was produced in late `72 the trap mirror was probably the mirror of choice at the factory. Sometime in `73 it appears that they switched to the flag mirror, my coupe was built in May of `73 and has the flags. I know that US 2002's in May of `73 were still getting trap mirrors, my friend Ray is an original owner of a Tii built in May. And I just saw an original owner `74 2002 with trap mirrors.

I think the trap mirror has a cleaner look to it, especially on a CSL with the forward mounting point.

Please add your coupe's VIN to our registry, it is the 15th 4 speed U.S. `73 manufactured.

Chris

Edit: All US/NA Market coupes used the trapezoid mirror. The flag mirror was introduced sometime in early 1975 on the 2002 and after US e9 model production ended. There is no Flag mirror in the Orange Parts book, only Trap and Electric.

Last edited:

Gerrit

Reaction score
CSL mirrors

All the CSLs had the trapezoidal mirrors up to and including the last series Bat2 chassis 4355036.
Gerrit

CSL 1973

Reaction score
CSL mirrors

I think Gerrit meant the last serie 2 of Bats and breaking point 4355036 for trapezoidal mirrors. I.e. as from 4355037 and up to 4355057 other types of mirrors. For instance 4355039, 4355042, 4355044 and 4355049 have all electrical mirror. The current owner of 4355036 has actually chosen the flag mirror.

Cheers

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ah, that makes sense. I think Mike G's black Bat has the electric mirror as well if I recall. The old Orange Parts books should also show when mirrors changed to flag for CS and CSi coupes perhaps?

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Trap-Flag choices

For safety reasons--
When driving Freeways of Southern California over the past 25 or 30 years or so I have opted for R & L Flags simply to be better prepared for defensive driving chores among "less aware" or distracted drivers--they are present here by the thousands. This strategy has worked for the BLUMAX while covering uncounted thousands of incident free miles of Southern California Freeway travel over the past 30 or so years--as well as the several out of state Metro Freeway systems we have safely traveled during those several decades.

Also has worked with several other Coupes I have either owned or driven long dstances, a 2002 for 175,000 miles and a Bavaria for 12,000 miles--all have been equipped with R/L Flags.

Original traps that came with BLUMAX have resided in my somewhat used parts boxes for many years and are very unlikely to ever be re-installed.