Csl restoration, paint at last !

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like they got everything. What paint system was used?

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking good Daddywad. Must be satisfying after 2 years. What paint system did you use?

Mine is at the body shop now awaiting a strip to bare metal having been stitch welded. Interestingly the painter suggested powder coating the interior. I can't say that I've seen this done before, has anyone here seen it?

daddywad

Reaction score
yes its Verona, can't wait to start putting it back together.

never heard of powder coating the inside though. mine was stripped bare by dipping then Ecoated after all the panels were changed.

paint is a basecoat and clear system.

so far so good

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
That looks absolutely great - all looks very original too down to the floor plugs, inner wings etc.

Looks like you are going for a front air dam - bumper also?

Regards,

Rohan

daddywad

Reaction score
paint officially from the paintshop is; solvent base 2k and Lechler megalack clear lacquer.

front spoiler, no bumper. if you check this youtube vid this is how it will finish up, I will also have second bootlid with the low rubber lipped spoiler fitted instead of the wing. (I am selling the replica rubber lipped spoilers soon, waiting for the prototype to return)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9tUqSUdhns

mark

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Daddy-what would you think about an US distributor, might be much easier and cheaper to send 20 or 30 here and have them shipped out- Just thinking... I have a warehouse in Texas might be able to do a group thing for Forum members. I like the little duck-tail, but would feel a little silly with the big ironing board on mine especially since it's not a CSL.

p.smitty

Reaction score
Wow

WTF? ............really?......Huh? ......This website/automobile has a HUGE difference in taste........... Soooooo many flavors. I don't get it sometimes, but I like it.

asutherl

Reaction score
Looking good Daddywad. Must be satisfying after 2 years. What paint system did you use?

Mine is at the body shop now awaiting a strip to bare metal having been stitch welded. Interestingly the painter suggested powder coating the interior. I can't say that I've seen this done before, has anyone here seen it?

I've seen it done for race cars. The interior and cage paint hold up much better being powder coated as compared to standard paint. The only problem is you can't seam seal the car prior to baking on the powder coating.

jamesw

Reaction score
Another option is to spray the inside with Lizard Skin. It is a tough coating that also acts as a sound deadener.

HTH
James

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've seen it done for race cars. The interior and cage paint hold up much better being powder coated as compared to standard paint. The only problem is you can't seam seal the car prior to baking on the powder coating.

The guy mentioning it had just done a BMW 1M race car interior with powder coating. It gets into everything apparently. Makes a painting job easier with roll bars and the like welded in.