CSL RHD City Pack Brake Booster Housing Colour Confirmation

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We are assembling the car and a double Google check of the brake booster colour reveals some restored cars with a blue booster housing. A local CSL enthusiast thinks silver and we have already painted most engine parts in what looked like their original black semi-gloss. I went through the three pages of 'brake booster' posts and couldn't find anything on this topic - sorry if I missed.

Does anyone have an authoritative view on the right colour please?

Very best (and HNY all),

David

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
I was recently discussing this with another member , Wally Siswadji'; he said the original booster was blue and the 'can' part silver zinc plated. I think many ended up entirely black after being reconditioned at some point . From memory, I believe the blue/zinc finish is what Jaymic use for their remanufactured boosters.

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you Chris and Aussie, I have pinged Pete at Jaymic for a picture/or correct blue colour.

Will post final pictures on the main restoration thread.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
David, if you get stuck, I know Wally has a reconditioned set as described above ...can get some pics for your reference if need be . Will ask him for details on blue paint he used which is a good match. Cheers, Simon

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am restoring my Taiga RHD CSL and my boosters were exactly as Aussiecsi describes above, when removed.

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A local CSL owner and retired BMW mechanic suggested we try looking for the colour on 2002 sites and I soon came across this which shows what looks like factory original paint and then a restored interpretation

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/156741-brake-help-power-brake-unit/

Unless someone can share or point to an e9 equivalent this looks like a good direction to head

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
David, the RHD E9's and 2002's shared the same boosters so it would be fair to assume the "Blue" was the same too. I will find out the paint type and post soon. Simon

Marc-M

Reaction score
I have just taken mine off (RHD) - and when taking off I noticed some blue paint on them under a bracket - mine have never been off, as the car was laid up in the 80s.
They have been exchanged and I have 2 new blue ones.
Regards

marc

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Guys - can you please confirm it is gloss blue paint and not a blue colored electrolytic coating (looks like paint in the supplied pics but we wanted to check)

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It sounds like you have tried it before but a simple Google Images search with "BMW e9 NOS brake booster" or any variation thereof such as "original booster" or "CSL booster" or even "RHD CSL booster" all show 99% of them in black.

I would ask Carl Nelson or Peter Sliskovich to be sure.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
It sounds like you have tried it before but a simple Google Images search with "BMW e9 NOS brake booster" or any variation thereof such as "original booster" or "CSL booster" or even "RHD CSL booster" all show 99% of them in black.

I would ask Carl Nelson or Peter Sliskovich to be sure.

Bo, not sure if they would necessarily be "Authorities " as the blue boosters seem to be unique to RHD cars . Both BMW Pete and Marc have already confirmed their original boosters as I described above. It seems that many RHD boosters were prone to failure and may have been painted black when reconditioned . Also, I bought a new booster in the late 1980's from BMW and it was/is black but I suspect by then it was easier to produce that way . Cheers, Simon

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
The booster by Jaymic (UK restorer)
upload_2017-5-6_7-21-34.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-6_7-20-8.jpeg
    upload_2017-5-6_7-20-8.jpeg
    5.9 KB · Views: 126

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Aha. Looks like we are talking about two different things. By "booster" I thought you meant the big vacuum "drum". I didn't realize the RHD system had the extra gizmo you are showing there.

All good. Back to your regularly scheduled discussion. ;)

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A much better Jaymic picture, thanks. Looks like blue paint but if anyone has a different view please shout soon. I will email Jaymic too.
Thanks all

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Aha. Looks like we are talking about two different things. By "booster" I thought you meant the big vacuum "drum". I didn't realize the RHD system had the extra gizmo you are showing there.

All good. Back to your regularly scheduled discussion. ;)

That is the RHD booster/master