Custom Exhaust System

rb1971

Reaction score
After being back on the road for a few days, the combination of the S38 with this exhaust is L-O-U-D. No real drone at highway speeds, but definitely too loud for city use when you get into the cam at all.

I expected to have to run resonators and it looks like that will be the solution, but thought I would let everyone know in case anyone is considering a project like this.

jmackro

Reaction score
Getting to the end of my project, and .....

Hmm, the back end treatment is certainly custom. What does the other end - the front - look like?

Removing stuff like side marker lights and bumpers shows what Giugiaro/BMW/Karmen originally sketched when these cars were in the design stage.

rb1971

Reaction score
Hmm, the back end treatment is certainly custom. What does the other end - the front - look like?

Removing stuff like side marker lights and bumpers shows what Giugiaro/BMW/Karmen originally sketched when these cars were in the design stage.

Like this, although the air dam is a relatively new addition.

Attachments

• 417175_380604321965611_100000481387672_1515876_1188614197_n.jpg
    417175_380604321965611_100000481387672_1515876_1188614197_n.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 205

pamp

Reaction score
Cool Stuff

That is for sure the coolest system I have seen. Especially the work on the rear tub, valance, etc. to make it work. Close second would be the Swedish car with the rear mounted turbo.
Question, did you add resonators after exhaust 1.0? Me, I am down pipes to one center muffler, (glass pack) and one more glass pack at the rear. Pretty loud as compared to stock. Thinking about one more small muffler in the mix. Not sure how the "CoupeKing" carrot works, another option.

rb1971

Reaction score
That is for sure the coolest system I have seen. Especially the work on the rear tub, valance, etc. to make it work. Close second would be the Swedish car with the rear mounted turbo.
Question, did you add resonators after exhaust 1.0? Me, I am down pipes to one center muffler, (glass pack) and one more glass pack at the rear. Pretty loud as compared to stock. Thinking about one more small muffler in the mix. Not sure how the "CoupeKing" carrot works, another option.

Thanks. We spent a lot of time working out the custom touches, trying to stay true to the spirit of the car at the same time.

I did add resonators (but I don't have a pic handy with those installed). The car was set-off-all-car-alarms loud without the resonators. With, I can drive into the parking garage as work without irritating everyone else.

pamp

Reaction score
Hah

The donuts....I do not mean to steal any threads....funny subject for those that push the limit(s) I drive from B.C. to San Diego and points in between. The I -5, the 101. I have points on the trip I call "donut free zone" I figure that if donuts and coffee (and nice waitresses) are not available on the road in about a 25 mile radius from where I am....open the car up and come up to speed (100 +) Donut zones are those that fall under the 25 mile circle....keep within reason. My driving record is pure.
On subject...what size did you decide when you spliced in the new resonator cans?
At the local parts store today....young lad buying pipe bits for his Dodge...Cummins turbo...
Holly Be-Jesus...4 inch, looked like stove pipe to me.

Last edited:

rb1971

Reaction score
How do you avoid the donut-munchers with those yellow lights?

The only reaction I've had so far from the polizei in the bay area has been "cool car". If questioned I plan to tell them the lights are period-correct (which has the weird advantage of being true) and see what happens. I would imagine worst case scenario is a fix-it ticket - and depending on the amount I will either fix or pay.

pamp

Reaction score
Depends

on the peace officer....sometimes they are good....most times N.G. Can you say "reckless driving" ? Hard to drive our cars within the limits....yeah sure...to the race track. Me I cannot help myself....gotta test it full on.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Even at night with them on? I'd like to have them but LA law expressly says white light only

The only reaction I've had so far from the polizei in the bay area has been "cool car". If questioned I plan to tell them the lights are period-correct (which has the weird advantage of being true) and see what happens. I would imagine worst case scenario is a fix-it ticket - and depending on the amount I will either fix or pay.