Dash bulbs

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What's the most efficient way to get in to replace the instrument bulbs? really just need to replace the white bulbs for the speedo/tach with 4w, current ones are dim. Apologies if this has been discussed but I failed to dig up a thread. Also I guess at some point I would like to remove the speedo to fix the odo which may be more involved, but I might as well ask now.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
The cluster is fairly easy to get out. You remove the speaker grille and speaker from on top of the cluster. Take out the single mounting screw on top. Reach in and unscrew the speedo cable and pull off the two connectors. Tilt the top out and disengage the two cleats that secure the bottom. The cluster should slide right out. The bulbs for the speedo and tach are easily replaced.

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah so here's the thing - I removed the grill earlier thinking I could get in that way, but from what I can tell there is not a speaker under there - there is a hard surface that appears to be molded to the dash, or at least I could not immediately see how it could be removed (I tried gently prying wiht a screwdriver, it didn't budge - there appear to be a couple rivets in it on the sides.) The single large screw you mentioned which I assume goes into the cluster does not let you remove this either.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Interesting. What year is your car? It seems the cluster is mounted differently on the pre-71 models.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 111

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
June ‘73. If I have time tomorrow I’ll snap a pic. If anyone wants to weigh in who has a ‘73 or after please! I’ll take a closer look at the “rivets”, maybe it’s a weird screw. Otherwise that panel ain’t moving. Thanks for the manual page, that seems to indicate the panel comes out.

Christoph

Reaction score
Right. Not nice, but this happens sometimes. Some cars were delivered without the speaker, then the instrument cover is closed under the grille. Recently seen it on a 75 3.0 L.

You may open the small glove box, reach behind the cluster and unscrew and pull out the speedo cable from there. Possible if the nut on the cable is fastened like it should (not very tightly). Then you can try to tilt the cluster from behind so that the top will come out first. Usually that will not work, nearly impossible to reach there and apply force. Which will leave you to remove the lower part of the instrument panel cover, the one with the push buttons, and tilt the cluster out from below. The two multi-plugs can be pulled off with the cluster out. The (works) wiring is long enough.

Putting a soft cloth over the steering column will protect the cluster's screen and rim which are not very robust. For the same reason, please do not try helping the cluster out with a screwdriver or a hook. A friend suggests to put a little grease on the speedo cable before remounting. He has noticed usually there is none left.

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Got it Christoph, very helpful. This moves this project into the "someday" category as I might as well do everything at once while it's out.

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
"someday" has become "today" so I'm finally getting around to this - I've dropped the lower dash cover, removed the top anchor screw from the gauge cluster and removed the speedo cable. Short refresher from above, on my car I cannot access the cluster from the top as my car did not have a radio speaker, just a solid non-removable blank on the top. I am trying to reach underneath (with very limited access) and tilt the cluster top forward but it does not seem to want to budge at all (nor does the bottom.) Before I put more force on it I wanted to see how much you have to push on the top to get it to tilt, or whether there is anything else I need to do first to free it up - I see from the pictures below (borrowed from an ebay listing) that there are 3 metal "tabs" on the cluster that I assume are related to mounting - one on the top and 2 on the bottom. The top one would appear to possibly stick up too high to just push it forward past the dash housing (maybe not, hard to tell from angle of pics)?

1703949658204.png
1703949682623.png
1703950568780.png

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
OK, never mind, answered my own question - I was able to get my hand in at a better angle and tip the top forward and free it up.

Christoph

Reaction score
Great! Now you already know what I was going to mention: the borrowed cluster is a Series 1 one, yours doesn't have that nose on the top side. Anyway, I would have suggested to stick a very small screwdriver or ball pen through the hole at the top where you removed the screw and try to press against the sliding piece that holds the screw. Did not try it myself so not sure about the prospects.
The next overly funny job is not far ahead. When reinserting the instrument cluster, check all functions, especially the control lights, after each step you take. After 50 years in the same position they won't work when rotated just a tiny bit. If you have time best clean the sockets while the cluster is out.

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sage advice, will do. I did try sticking something into the top hole but I could not free it up that way. Of course now that I have it out both gears on the odometer are broken, so I can't just get by with the easy fix. Happy new year and thanks for the help!

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Sean. I have this cluster available if you just pay for shipping. Perhaps you can mix and match parts and get yours working again, then tell us all about it!
Looks like from a '75? LMK, Mike
IMG_7491.jpegIMG_7492.jpeg

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Appreciate the offer, I think I'm good - just ordered a couple new gears for the odo, the rest is in good shape.