Dash lights

Bertocchi

Reaction score
I have my dash apart to replace the hood over the instrument cluster and was checking out the illumination system in the process. Looks like 12V 2W Osram bulbs.
I have read, on other Bulletin Boards, that many people are upgrading to LED lights? They are supposed to be brighter and last longer? Has anyone done this? If so what bulbs are you using?

Thanks, David

Attachments

• IMG_1713.jpg
    IMG_1713.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 347

jmackro

Reaction score
I used part number BA9S-W-WV from SuperBriteLEDs. See: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...ction=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/ba9s_wide.htm

Note that the bulb diameter of these is .386". I first ordered the BA9S-W-W with a diameter of .423 - those proved too large to fit through the hole in the e9 gauges.

At $2 apiece, these LED bulbs are cheaper than Sylvania incandescants at my local auto store. To me, the appeal was that they should not burn out during my lifetime, saving me the grief of disassembling my dash again to replace them.

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Thanks Jay I have ordered the ones you suggested along with some 1156 bulbs. I would like to see how they look.

jmackro

Reaction score
Instead of the 1156 and 1157 bulbs, I use the PCB-mounted array of LEDs. See: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/pcblamp.htm

I snip off the sockets, and hardwire the arrays directly into the CS tail light wiring - I figure the LEDs are going to outlast me so I'm not concerned about ease of replacement. Also, the stock e9 rear sockets are so Mickey Mouse, that I used to worry about brake light failure. I attached the PCB to the stock reflector with an adhesive called Automotive Goo.

I wish I had taken some pictures! - here's a couple of shots of a similar modification I made on an Alfa Romeo:

Attachments

• LED Tal Light Crop 2.jpg
    LED Tal Light Crop 2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 313
  • LED Tail Lights 002.jpg
    LED Tail Lights 002.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 286

steve in reno

Reaction score
Are these LED's dimmable?
I had led's in an instrument cluster and they were not, pia.
JMACKRO are you currently using this these in your car?
After putting my dash back together, 1.5 years ago, I found that there are 2 bulbs that are out. So now I have another project, and if this works out may be another upgrade.
steve

jmackro

Reaction score

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just an update; I ordered and received the BA9S-W-WV bulbs and they arrived this weekend. Turns out that this is a bayonet style bulb and different than the wedge style used in my car.
The original was a #37. Superbright has replaced that with a #74 and has a higher intensity version the 74-HS. I ordered some of those and will post results as soon as they arrive.

David

jmackro

Reaction score
David:

I had recommended the BA9S-W-WV to you - sorry to hear that I steered you wrong. My 1970 uses bayonette-style bulbs, and I assumed that all e9's were the same. I guess BMW must have changed that detail somewhere between 1970 and '73.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jay, I am sure my `73 has the same bulbs as yours, not the wedge type. The bulb holders are round unless I am mistaken.

Bertocchi

Reaction score
I am sorry, you guys are correct. I am referring to the bulbs that illuminate the heater controls. Mine were both out, that is what stared all of this.

David

Bertocchi

Reaction score
I finally got everything together for the dash light project and replaced all the light bulbs in the instrument cluster and heater panel. The new bulbs work quite well and since there were some burnt out bulbs it was very much worth while.
Many thanks to JMackro for steering me in the right direction. The maiden voyage gets closer each day. :-D

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
LED's too bright?

I just installed the LED lamps in all the dash instruments. Testing them it became apparent that they are not dimmable with the existing light switch. My question is - have those that have installed these found they are too bright at night? It has been a few years since actually driving the car (in-process restoration) and I do not remember if I dimmed the regular bulbs while driving at night. I do not think I did.

61porsche

Reaction score
Sven,

As a suggestion you might want to check from the supplier or manufacturer to see what it might take to make them dimmable. Some are now. Perhaps a heat sink, resistors, and the rheostat you have can be made to work and you have the best of both worlds.

Best of luck though.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
LED Dim Enough?

Sven
Did you ever resolve these LED's being too bright?
Did the dash light control also dim the heater lights? Mine are all out so I couldn't tell?
Thanks
C

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
C - I did not resolve the issue. I just went back to standard bulbs. I know in the architectural lighting world that some LED are dimmable and some not. I never checked the specifications on the ones I had from Super Bright.

I don't have the lights behind the heater console, just in the steering column, but I think they would be connected on the same circuit.

I run with my headlights on during the day and leave the dash lights off, so they don't see too many hours use.

pmansson

Reaction score
4 W lamps are perfect

and you don´t need to turn the switch to the full.
But I have reverted to 2W for the turn signal lamp, as I find the green light too strong at night. My idea was to see it better in daylight, but the too bright green at night is annoying. Easily accessed with instrument in place.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure of options in this application but LEDs are now being offered in a variety of heat ranges. The heat range effects the color of the light. So...the blue white color often associated with LEDs is somewhere near 8500k where an incandescent bulb is closer to 3000k. Halogen 3500-4000k.

Many manufactures now have options. All my landscaping LEDs are 3500k. And interior lighting in table lamps etc. are 3000k. Unlikey anyone can tell they are not tradition halogen or incandescent sources.

Want that warm yellow light order near 3000k.

John