Dash - Reveneered

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Since my car is away for paint I've been left with only the interior which I stripped out to work on. I thought I'd share some photos of the newly refinished dash; it's Austrailian lacewood and almost perfect color match to my Nardi steering wheel:

Left.jpg

[/img]
Center.jpg

Right.jpg

[/img]

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow! That should look incredible in the car. What color is the interior?

Dan

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The car is silver. It is getting fresh paint - current BMW silver and clear coat. The interior is blue. I've got a Nardi wheel which has the same orange tone to it as the new dash. I'm putting is new carpet from World Upholstery which is European load weave (Blue/Black) as opposed to the original Blue/Grey.

My next wood trim project will be a shift knob. My plan is to laminate Padouk (orange) and Yellowheart (yellowish) wood in a diamond pattern matching the Bavarian flag. Both woods have a dense end grain and similar density so they should stack up nicely. I've never tried anything like this but it sounds like a good challenge. If it actually works I'll post pictures.

Rob Hannafin

Reaction score
Wood Veneer

12 years ago I had a custom desk built for my home, the top was South American Lace wood. I didn't think it was still available. What a great wood for the coupe. Where did you find it? That would look great in my 2000cs.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The wood came from my local WoodCraft store (http://www.woodcraft.com). The packages is marked "Sauers & Company" (www.sveneers.com); the specific Sauers product# would be: SCV-12-LACWD. This a 12 square foot package with 8-10 pieces which are 48" x 6".

This was a tricky veneer to work with. The Lacewood is a bit brittle and it required steam and heat to bend it on to the center console. It also has uneven grain - this is alot of why it looks good but it also make it hard to finish well.